Just started Linux

einfomail

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I really do not know anything in Linux and want to learn it myself.

I just signed up Linux.org and I found that there are 25 Linux distributions.

I downloaded Ubuntu. However, being a beginner, which distribution should I download?

Being a beginner, I have some queries as follows:
  1. As I said, I don’t know anything in Linux, however, I installed it as Virtual Machine. Please let me know, how should I start step by step?
  2. If I learn to work on Ubuntu, will I be able to work on all Linux distributions?
  3. How do I know the comparisons and purpose of all Linus distributions?
Please guide me.

I’ll be thankful to all.

Regards
EinfoMail

I downloaded Ubuntu. However, being a beginner, which distribution should I download?

EinfoMail
Can't go wrong with Ubuntu so if it's installed and updated then give it a go and see how you like it.

Other recommendations are.

Linux Lite.

Linux Mint.

Peppermint 10 .

I got it. You mean to say, as a beginner in Linux, before Ubuntu, I should go for Linux Lite, Linux Mint and Peppermint 10. Am I right?

I got it. You mean to say, as a beginner in Linux, before Ubuntu, I should go for Linux Lite, Linux Mint and Peppermint 10. Am I right?
Not necessarily although most new Linux users migrating from a Windows environment find these Linux Distros easier to navigate through than Ubuntu.

Not necessarily although most new Linux users migrating from a Windows environment find these Linux Distros easier to navigate through than Ubuntu.

Okay. I got it.
For all three Distro, you suggested links for their Manual and Installation Guide. Pls provide me same links for Ubuntu too.

If I learn to work on Ubuntu, will I be able to work on all Linux distributions?
Well you will have a better understanding of how Ubuntu / Debian based distros work and so you should be able to understand them enough to install and remove software etc.

How do I know the comparisons and purpose of all Linus distributions?
Most of the mainstream Ubuntu / Debian Linux Distros are for the most the same other than looks and user-interface as far as how they work and available software.

The best way to compare Linux Distros is to test drive the mainstream ones and find one you like and start with it and become familiar how Linux works.

Once you are more familliar with how to use Linux then you can do what is refered to as Distro hopping although I would start with the mainstream ones first.

Okay. I got it.
For all three Distro, you suggested links for their Manual and Installation Guide. Pls provide me same links for Ubuntu too.
Unfortunately Ubuntu doesn't offer such guides which is why the other Linux Distros are usually a better first choice.

These may help.

Last edited by a moderator:
DISTROWATCH

DistroWatch is a website which provides news, popularity rankings, and other general information about various Linux distributions as well as other free software/open source Unix-like operating systems such as OpenSolaris, MINIX and BSD. It now contains information on several hundred distributions

There are literally hundreds and hundreds of Operating Systems.

If you ask 1000 people which one is the best to use....you will get 1000 different answers......Because it is all about Personal Choice.

Start simple.

Probably the most popular is either Linux Mint or Ubuntu

Get a usb stick.....4 gb is good enough, 8 gb is more comfortable for space.

READ this ....then read it again....and again.....and then practise booting your PC from the USB stick

Doing this WILL NOT HARM your current installed operating system

By reading how to 'burn' an OS's ISO to a usb stick you will have taught yourself how to try out any Linux OS...easily and quickly.

Distro Watch is a good read....fairly confronting......but you will quickly learn that there are hundreds of different OS's.

Linux Mint....or Ubuntu...good place to start. If you screw up the OS....just take the usb stick out and start again. No damage done. Simple.

Members online