Just Saying!

70 Tango Charlie

Reaction score
Credits
Good Morning from Michigan!
I have been in email contact with a nice lady from Pennsylvania. She has been having problems with her Windows 10 machine.
Being the nice guy that I think I am, I decided to try to help out this damsel in distress.
After two weeks of looking at screenshots of her set up, I came to the conclusion that the file system that is used on Windows 10
may be the worst, most confusing system anyone could ever purposely design.
Of course, I was comparing it with the uncluttered, easy to navigate, file system that comes with LM MATE 20.1.
I asked myself - "How does anyone new to computers ever get anything done on Win 10?"

Until 4-5 years ago, I was a Windows guy. I started with Win 95 and finished with Win 7, so I am not totally ignorant of Windows.
For several years I was the Secretary of a Seniors golf group, using MS Office for the record keeping. Even was using Publisher for
some things. Used Word quite extensively putting together a roster book containing names, addresses, and phone numbers of around 700 people.
Before retiring as Secretary, I began using Linux with Libre Office as my office suite. {Used Open Office for a while, but switched to LO after some problems}

I must repeat - "How does anyone get anything done with Win 10".

Speaking frankly; if Win 10 was the only operating system there was for computers, I would not even be using one for what I do.

So, in closing, I just want to thank everyone associated with Linux and GNULinux for the work and effort they have put in to make
the best operating system in existence today.

Old Geezer, Tango Charlie

agreeing with you 100 percent.. I started with windows some 18 years ago. got so flustered that I went to Apple and was very happy for many many years.. But now Apple is the pits and going down ( to the pits) every day!
I am just beginning with Linux and not looking back.
Simple

windows 95, 98 millennium, XP etc Ok

The main issue with Windows 10 , visually is that the Desktop is just "Too Busy" so much that you can't see the wood for the trees.
@captain-sensible
Seems like ever since they came out with Windows 8.0 they have just gotten worse. What a disaster that was. I also read somewhere that Win 10 is based on Win 8.
Thanks Cap. Those were just the words I was looking for - "Just Too Busy".
The next question I have is -------"Why?"
My conclusion ----------- "Control".
OG TC

it might be some marketing wiz along the lines of look at all the stuff your getting, lets put it all on the Desktop so they can all see ? I'm a minimalist person so can't cope , if kids ask me to do something- they both have W10

Funny thing about Slackware is i keep reading about add tools and find its already installed slackware but as an executable in bin or sbin , so its not seen in the menu.

Sadly Windows Updates breaks the boot loader for Linux.

Some Windows updates have also made some people's pc's completely unusable!

It kind of makes me sick to my stomach to see stuff like this. It really does not surprise me though.
One of the comments was humorous though. The person wrote "I own this computer" or something like that. I wonder if they realize that they are not in control of it? They are servants of Microsoft. What a travesty on the free enterprise system.
OG

Again. :(

Again. :(

These articles are a little old (1-yr and approaching 5-yrs)... but I'll bet you might find the same thing in more current reports too. Again. :(

it might be some marketing wiz along the lines of look at all the stuff your getting, lets put it all on the Desktop so they can all see ?
I have Win 10 on a laptop, but it's not filled up with junk on the Desktop... I think you may mean the Start Menu? The Start Menu is modeled (somewhat) after Windows 8 and is quite cluttered with apps. Some of those are "live apps" showing things like current weather or news headlines.

You can turn these Start Menu displays off. Mine are all gone now, but I think the method was to right click on each and hide it, or something like that. Maybe disable it? I forget... it's been awhile. I also uninstalled many apps, if it would let me.

Don't misunderstand me... I am in no way promoting Windows. I hate it with a passion. But it is possible to tame it, at least a little, if you make an effort.

Last edited:
@stan yes i know you can edit/ disable so as to hide applications , but each time I have to go onto Windows 10 I just want to get off as quickly as possible !

I'm philosophical these days, i don't hate windows or judge those that use it- each to their own.
Same with Linux i don't understand why everyone isn't using Slackware :^ )

i don't hate windows or judge those that use it- each to their own.
I don't mean to judge Windows users... I still use it myself, although grudgingly and as little as possible. But I do judge Windows itself and rate Windows 10 poorly. To me, XP and Win 7 were their better products, by far. Windows 10 has really become a data collection machine... scraping every bit that it can from it's users. I don't believe most users dig into the privacy and security (and other) settings nearly enough to disable what they can... and that is the saddest part.

Members online

Latest posts