Just installed Ubuntu Studio 22.10 on bare metal desktop, here are observations

C

CrazedNerd

I'm actually getting ready to dual boot install windows 10 with it and erase it (we'll see how that goes...). I decided to test it first just because i didn't know there would be a new version of Ubuntu Studio and i planned to replace the DE with KDE full because of some small bugs in ubuntu studio last time.

However, before i erase this with windows and write this new version of US to a flash drive again (i was so focused on saving my data i forgot some crucial steps), a couple of observations:

-seems to be really awesome, enormous, more software on here than in the last version. The OS is around 5GB

-wifi works but wifi configuration is a little more hands-on and less intuitive, overall this is a good thing even though it confused me for a minute.

-for some reason i can't find the torrenting client already installed ?? What's the deal with this? DIscover has lots of options, so they probably just wanted you to choose your own, which is more fun anyways.

Whelp, both attempts to install windows failed because they wouldn't even boot! I had a USB stick for a pirated version of 10, and also a legal version whose license i gave to a computer-skill deficient person so they could have it on their laptop. Why am I not surprised?! So I shall remain 100% linux!

In the great OS wars, one can argue whether apple or windows is better, but compared to almost all linux distros, then windows always comes up short!

Hooray for us! We need a linux anthem!

Last edited by a moderator:
CrazedNerd wrote:
pirated version of 10,

Apparently there's no need for pirated copies of MS ... it's available in slightly constricted format:
Microsoft allows anyone to download Windows 10 for free and install it without a product key. It’ll keep working for the foreseeable future, with only a few small cosmetic restrictions. And you can even pay to upgrade to a licensed copy of Windows 10 after you install it.
This is NOT promotional, rather, informational.

CrazedNerd wrote:

Apparently there's no need for pirated copies of MS ... it's available in slightly constricted format:

This is NOT promotional, rather, informational.
Im not surprised, i think maybe the problem was balena etcher cuz it gave me a warning

Lol, so much for the whole windows dual boot thing. There don't appear to be much in the way of working linux applications that can write windows images anymore. The message you get from balena etcher is thus:

"It looks like you are trying to burn a windows image. Unlike other images, windows images require special processing in order to be made bootable..."

Rufus does not work properly when run with wine, unetbootin is for linux images (and in my past experiences is crap, lol). I downloaded WoeUSB with instructions from github, but unfortunately once you install it, it just doesn't have instructions that i can interpret and work with to actually write the image, which is very disappointing (ie, it does have command line instructions, but...).

The only other workable option would be to buy Windows 11, but i just don't trust it to deliver customer satisfaction based on my attempt upgrade from my WIndows 10 license, so looks like i'll just be using linux.

One thing i don't like about Ubuntu Studio is that the command line can't see boot drives until you click on them through the graphical file manager, which to me is just strange and a pain. I'll see how everything else goes.

Ventoy works. I'd recommend getting the ISO direct from Microsoft, and test the SHA256 checksum.
Well if i knew that, i would have tried ventoy again, and i did download the genuine un-licensed copy like osprey recommended.

As it stands though, I'm personally not interested in starting the whole re-formatting process over again...because i discovered through installing ubuntu studio that i don't like the KDE desktop scheme. Unity basically feels like an apple remake in some ways, but at least i don't have to click on the graphical file manager for the command line to recognize my USB drives:

Code:
/dev/sda1        60G  9.6G   51G  17% /media/sisyphys/Lexar64GB

It would have taken more work to do that in Ubuntu Studio, i'm just going to dual boot with that as some way to do professional quality recordings when i have the time for it. I basically just wanted to have windows 10 so i could easily install DVD Styler and test video games in comparison with debian distros.

I am now finding that my old and legally purchased Windows 10 flash drive is NOW being recognized by my BIOS, and for this reason I'm gonna try my triple-boot installation experiment again.

What gives? Believe me or not, on all the desktop computers i have built, the USB drives exhibited finicky behavior. Another example: in addition to the wired light up keyboard i bought recently, i use a wireless keyboard. The nice thing about that is that it has one dongle for both the mouse and keyboard, glad i could get such a functional/well-designed keyboard at a discount.

HOWEVER, I prefer keeping that dongle at the front. There two USB slots in the front that work just fine. Sometimes, when i plug a second USB drive upfront, it intereferes with the functionality of my mouse and keyboard.

I personally think that motherboards in general tend to be pretty badly made.

Okay...installed my old windows, but had to remove it cuz it wouldn't recognize my wifi...so i have reinstalled Ubuntu again...

Unfortunately, ventoy requires that you install it on a USB drive, which means it will be slow as hell...no thanks.

Yeah which is a PITA when your desktop can't access the internet

Having a physical cable is a good thing.

But, you can probably tether your cell phone (assuming your plan allows such) and use that to download drivers. A physical USB connection is the tethering method for this. For all of these things, you want a direct USB connection and not some sort of USB hub (if possible).

Having a physical cable is a good thing.

But, you can probably tether your cell phone (assuming your plan allows such) and use that to download drivers. A physical USB connection is the tethering method for this. For all of these things, you want a direct USB connection and not some sort of USB hub (if possible).
I decided i was gonna try erasing and driver install again, but a couple things i need to do first.

Whelp, i finally have the three operating systems running all at once, and boot timer is removed like i always like it. Most computer nerds are like "I WANT IT TO BE A 1 SECOND TIMER BECAUSE IT'S EFFICIENT!", but what if you turn on your desktop and decide you need to take a crap?

Only major dissapointment was finding that the steam client doesn't work in Windows 10 now adays because of some bug...oh well, just more proof that windows is actually the inferior operating system type...so much evidence mounted against them!

The steam developers will probably fix it in not too long now anyways.

Members online