JingOS

That looks like a godsend for all those poor souls having touchpad dramas....and it has the added bonus of being compatible with touch screens too.

"With JingOS, you can finally use your Surface 6 like a real tablet!" Someone get Microsoft some aloe to soothe that burn with."

I'm definitely planning to try it out, since I have a multi-touch, tablet-mode capable laptop.

Is the OS made by huawei ?

Not that I can tell. I believe that it's run by a company called Jingling Tech, although the initial results on Bing didn't dig up any info on the company.

All right, I did a brief-ish test today, and here's my take on it:

JingOS is currently using Plasma Mobile for the interface. They claim that they will replace it with their own desktop environment soon, however. They also seem to have stolen some of Plasma Mobile's apps for themselves. Very few of their own apps are open source (only two apps that are just PM's apps anyway).

The wallpaper used is not the dynamic, moving wallpaper shown on their website. Hopefully this will be implemented soon.

Unfortunately, JingOS didn't support screen rotation on my laptop. This may be a result of their use of Plasma Mobile, however, because GNOME 3 rotates on my laptop, but Plasma doesn't.

Overall, I'm not terribly impressed with the current state of things. Admittedly, this is a beta release, and they do have some nice features, including trackpad gestures. However, it will take a lot of work on their part before I'd be willing to consider using this for a daily driver.

I'm definitely planning to try it out, since I have a multi-touch, tablet-mode capable laptop.

I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop Tablet. Installed Peppermint the touch screen works, in laptop or tablet mode. The touchpad drivers no problems. Light resource uses. It just works.

I wouldn't trust it until the source code is publicly available, especially since it's a Chinese distribution.

Last edited:
I wouldn't touch it anyway but it reveals to me the variety of people interested in Linux. Linux doesn't seem like that from the outside... when you have ever meet only 3 people using it

That's silly. If you go to the member list for this site, you will see at least 18 unique names in just the first page. And you have interacted with many more than 3 people just in this thread.

Staff online