Jazz...

Herbie Hancock The Head Hunters (1973) thanks Wikipedia!

funny bass-synth on the title track LOL, but I liked better the track after it. It's been a while since I listened to that record and I don't have the CD sleeve anymore so I can't provide the name of the song.

Hancock did "Rock It" later (1984) but don't like the video LOL, looks dumb. Also have Future Shock and Future 2 Future by him... keyboardist too much into the future...

(Not sure about the 2001 record, but it begins with a collab with Chaka Khan, also has this silly song which included a turntablist.)

Not a good example but:
Spacetime Continuum Double Fine Zone (1999)

This is Jonah Sharp going further with experimentations with jazz. Did a pretty good record before that. I'm more into electronic music and a big fan of mid-1990's largely-European stuff.

LOL almost forgot, discovered this band on local university radio...

Medeski Martin and Wood Friday Afternoon in the Universe (1995) thank you again Wikipedia!
Pretty good record, left (Hammond organ), middle (drums) and bass (right) the members as listed.

Herbie Hancock The Head Hunters (1973) thanks Wikipedia! ...
Miles Davis was a genius in many ways. He had a real gift for identifying young talent who grew into legends in their own right. That long list of amazing musicians includes Herbie Hancock. I have a few of his albums, including Head Hunters, which is a classic. I bet that @KGIII includes at least one or two of Herbie Hancock's "staples" in his own performances.

I bet that @KGIII includes at least one or two of Herbie Hancock's "staples" in his own performances.

While I do love me some jazz and was once paid to do the lunch special at a jazz club, and some nights as well, I'm pretty much a total sellout. I play covers and love playing covers. I have covered Rockit and Watermellon Man. I think those are both Hancock, but a lot of what we did was pure improv. It was a very educational time in my life.

I do have a band I can play with right now (well, this weekend) and they do classic rock and a selection of current rock hits - even a bit of pop-type music. It's what pays the bills, especially in a remote area.

I'm actually a classical guitarist by training, but maybe 50 people on the planet are paid well to play classical guitar. So, I have performed pretty much everything but classical music. I do like some neo-classical metal, as it's always fun to shred and melt faces off.

Heck, I've been in bands that played nothing but top-40 hits - in the mid-80s. It was horrible, but it paid the bills. Well, no... It paid some of the bills. Unless you're diligent or have had some luck, making a living from your musicianship is pretty difficult. I've done so for spells during my life and those were among the times when I had the least amount of money.

LOL I'd often joke about driving to a gig in a $500 car with $10,000 worth of equipment. Even if there's a foot of snow on the ground, you're expected to play - so you better hope your $500 car has working heat and a working defroster. (Hint: A number of times I would have to scrape a hole through the frost to see out the windshield.)

M'Man !! You look after me ...ta

Avagudweegend!

On A Clear Day - Cleo Laine

Mama's always been a fan of Acker Bilk:-

I'm also a big jazz fan. My tastes are very eclectic; I don't have any specific "favourites", per se, but one of my current "likes" is a guy named Thom Rotella:-

Another current "like" is a guy by the name of 'Duke' Herrington...

More jazz-funk than owt else, I guess.

(I'm also something of a reggae nut. Curiously, I loved the period known as "lover's rock" from the late 60s thru the mid-to-late 70s.....along with some of the more hard-core 'dub' stuff - a guy named Linton Kwesi Johnson comes to mind - and a few of the 'novelty' items, including this one by a guy named 'Pluto' Shervington:-

First heard it in the early 90s, forgot about it for a long while, then dug it up on YouTube last year. Astounding what you can find on YT...

(You need to read the lyrics and meaning to understand this one:-

There's a LOT of Jamaican 'patois' in there, along with what's apparently some 'ganja code', so that Rastas can talk about weed in public without arousing suspicion!)
buehehe.gif

Sorry for dragging things off-topic, @arochester . 'Cool cat' Mike signing-off..! :p

Last edited:
I also liked the music played during the silly Pink Panther cartoons from the 1960's LOL, wish I could get that soundtrack somehow. Prefer the music away from the derrivations of Pink Panther theme though...

Seeing those cartoons as a kid and also exposed to "Apples and Bananas" record. "I like to ote... ote ote ote... I like to ote... opples and bononos..." Sorry I don't remember who did that record but it was for children. Oh what is it? Before that it was just the "Looney Tunes" theme song LOL.

Members online