Java Swing GUI coming up empty on RH/Gnome windows due to configuration issues

Jagor

Reaction score
Credits
I have a Java Swing program that displays fine on Windows and on another Linux instance I use, but on another Linux platform the main window comes up, but it is blank. It is NOT the Java code but the OS configuration that is the problem; I wrote a quick and simple test program and the same thing occurs.

The buttons actually are triggered when I click where they are supposed to be, but the dialogs that come up are also empty. The Linux instance on which it does work is the same version, so that is not the problem. I've tried comparing the lists of installed packages and the env settings, but while there are a lot of differences nothing stands out as something that would cause this. I am at a loss as to what to try next.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I am not including code because as I say, it happens for Java in general. When run, there are no notices or messages that indicate anything wrong. It is running on AWS, but so is the one that works.

Found the answer on another board; the problem was with Remote Desktop server and the depth setting.
Fix:
edit /etc/xrdp/xrdp.ini
uncomment line "xserverbpp=24" and save
sudo systemctl restart xrdp.service

Note restarting the service will kill your remote session so close all apps first.

I believe this also holds for other remote access apps like TigerVNC, etc. The depth needs to be set to 24, but the place to do so will depend on the server app.

Members online

Latest posts