iwconfig command shows only eth0 and l0 missing wlan0

sbhardwaj

Reaction score
Credits
I am using kali linux in virtual machine and using external wifi adapter TP-LINK WM-722N.when I run command "lsusb" it shows my wifi adapter but when i run iwconfig command shows only eth0 and l0 missing wlan0

You will need to determine whether you have both the firmware and the wifi driver.
The "lsusb" command will usually show you the driver, for example of a different card than yours:
Code:
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 2357:0107 TP-Link TL-WN821N v5/v6 [RTL8192EU]
In this example the driver required is: 8192eu. It's not in the kernel that is being used here by default but there is a driver available from github which can be compiled, installed and configured to work. In addition to the driver, the wifi needs the package with the firmware which in a few distros including debian is named: firmware-realtek. If on the other hand, the driver was in the kernel, then it only needs the firmware and then to be configured.

One cannot determine with certainty the driver from the trade name and model number of the adapter, TP-LINK WM-722N, because manufacturers have been known to change the chips in the units without changing the trade name and model number. Version numbers of particular models can be important, and they are usually shown in the lsusb output as can be seen from the above example.

Once all that is set the wifi needs to be configured using one of a few possible networking programs such as NetworkManager, or systemd-networkd or ifupdown.

The "iwconfig" command is on the way out, deprecated in favour of the "iw" command.

I note there is a youtube video on this model of wifi adapter which deals with different versions of the adapter. It may be helpful to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online