I've been playing with a new (to me) browser.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I am a sucker for a new browser. I've installed a ton of them - even though I really only use three of them.

I came across this gem:

For a minimal browser, it's right full of features - features weird people would like. This site is full of weird people! (Of which I am one, for the record!) So, I figured I'd share it here.

It has a .deb available. So, that's nice...

Otherwise, the source is located here:

Which, to make a short story long, is where I found it. I can't be the only one that types 'browser' into the GitHub search and goes through dozens of results looking for the gems in the rough. I can't be!

Anyhow, install and then go through the tour. It's right full of nifty features.

This site is full of weird people! (Of which I am one, for the record!)

i'm not weird only perhpas mildly eccentric ; which i think is a pre-requiset for being a Slackware user

I have this one installed:

I've never spent much time with it. My behavior pretty much negates any reason to use a privacy focused browser. I go places where I login, using the same email addresses, and even publish articles. I'm a pretty public person and accept the consequences.

I've never spent much time with it. My behavior pretty much negates any reason to use a privacy focused browser. I go places where I login, using the same email addresses, and even publish articles. I'm a pretty public person and accept the consequences.

(I'm not looking to get into a debate by asking this) what's your opinion on the NSA warantlessly wiretapping Americans devices and reading their texts, emails, and everything they post on mainstream social media sites?

(I'm not looking to get into a debate by asking this) what's your opinion on the NSA warantlessly wiretapping Americans devices and reading their texts, emails, and everything they post on mainstream social media sites?

Politics is strictly off-limits.

I am a sucker for a new browser. I've installed a ton of them - even though I really only use three of them.

I came across this gem:

For a minimal browser, it's right full of features - features weird people would like. This site is full of weird people! (Of which I am one, for the record!) So, I figured I'd share it here.

It has a .deb available. So, that's nice...

Otherwise, the source is located here:

Which, to make a short story long, is where I found it. I can't be the only one that types 'browser' into the GitHub search and goes through dozens of results looking for the gems in the rough. I can't be!

Anyhow, install and then go through the tour. It's right full of nifty features.
I read the homepage and was rather impressed until I saw...
Min is written entirely with CSS and JavaScript using Electron

Turned me off immediately.

Turned me off immediately.

I'm fairly language agnostic. Hell, even my installed version of Balena Etcher is an Electron app. I don't let the languages keep me from picking software that I like.

Note: That doesn't apply to this browser. I don't really like it. I'm not sure why they claim it is a minimal browser. It's right loaded with new and unusual features and didn't seem very light during my testing/playing.

Electron isn't a language, it's basically a full browser engine used to run "web apps" as desktop apps. It tends to use lots of system resources and can otherwise be a pain.

I'm not going to reject software due to the language, but I don't want Electron.

Electron isn't a language, it's basically a full browser engine used to run "web apps" as desktop apps.

I know. I should have made it more clear. Etcher is an Electron app. It's awesome. It never fails me.

I presume Rambox uses electron then. I thought it was pretty nifty until I noticed how much RAM it was using.

Dunno? I've never even heard of it.

Apologies, it's hard to know what is and isn't known. It comes with Lubuntu hence I just assumed it'd be known. It basically collates different email/skype/whatsapp/etc into different tabs, then notifies you when you receive a message. Looking it up it does use electron. Was using about 200mb of RAM per account, ridiculous.

It comes with Lubuntu

I'm pretty sure it doesn't come with Lubuntu.

I open every single GUI app, and some terminal applications, every day on Lubuntu. (I'm one of the testers and I test the live instance.) Some weeks, I install Lubuntu 7+ times - though I usually just do the live testing as it takes longer.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't come with Lubuntu.

I open every single GUI app, and some terminal applications, every day on Lubuntu. (I'm one of the testers and I test the live instance.) Some weeks, I install Lubuntu 7+ times - though I usually just do the live testing as it takes longer.

Apologies again! I've used and/or installed so many new applications in the last week my brain is fried.