It's time for a poll. How long have you used Linux?

the minimalist look

I'm a big fan of the more traditional desktop, using LXQt as my primary for a little while now and LXDE prior.

I am also a pretty big fan of Cinnamon. If I'm not using LXQt or LXDE, it's quite likely Cinnamon that's up and running.

I'm also not the kind of person that thinks my preferences must be universal. So, there's that. I never really understood the arguing about which is best, I just use what's best for me and like to hope everyone else makes the decision to use what's best for them. It's Linux, we have a diverse selection. One of 'em is bound to suit you best, or at least be close enough!

I'm a big fan of the more traditional desktop, using LXQt as my primary for a little while now and LXDE prior.

I am also a pretty big fan of Cinnamon. If I'm not using LXQt or LXDE, it's quite likely Cinnamon that's up and running.

I'm also not the kind of person that thinks my preferences must be universal. So, there's that. I never really understood the arguing about which is best, I just use what's best for me and like to hope everyone else makes the decision to use what's best for them. It's Linux, we have a diverse selection. One of 'em is bound to suit you best, or at least be close enough!

Again, I agree!

I am used to Windows, and so I try to change it up a bit with Linux. I like the keyboard shortcuts as well so I dont need all that much on my desktop, having the minimal look is something I prefer for now. I am also trying out some window managers, but right now, I just dont see myself using it on my main machine.

I have a total of 6 months, spread over many years. However, I just made the jump from Windows to Linux, and I couldn't be happier.

The time goes by quickly. It won't feel all that long and you'll look back and say you've been at it for a year, three years, five years, etc...

I am also trying out some window managers, but right now, I just dont see myself using it on my main machine.

Yeah, I've been a fan of a full blown desktop environment - which is weird, as all I really want it to do is get out of my way to let me get things done - which it does, in a way. I think I just prefer the familiarity. I've tried to like Gnome. I just can't do it. Give me my taskbar, application menu, system tray, etc...

I do make a 'dock' that only appears when I hover over the top of the screen for a few seconds. That has shortcuts to frequently used applications. It's largely just a second panel that functions like a dock.

July 1999. Upgrading Debian 1 to 2 on production servers in a small datacenter in Brazil. This time I started spending sleepless nights accompanied by pizza, coffee, posts on Geocities and chats on IRC/BBS.

July 1999.

That might be the earliest in the thread, or really close to it. Alas, I don't remember all the comments and I'm not willing to go back through the 7 pages of posts.

What's Linux? ;)

That might be the earliest in the thread, or really close to it.

@dos2unix has played the trump card, hard to beat :)

Friday here, so Avagudweegend all, and stay safe.

Wiz

Indeed @wizardfromoz, @dos2unix has the lead. I poked at Linux early on - but definitely don't count that as use as it was never my main desktop OS until I finally retired.

It's not a holiday weekend this weekend, so I should be around my average amount. I'm usually busy every morning and roll into the office at like 13:00, where I stick around for maybe 6 to 8 hours.

If you get bored, there's a few good origin stories in this thread. The poll results are quite different from what I expected to see, which is kinda neat.

Since the previous weekend...i am trying to switch from Windows so i installed Linux Mint at a vm...so far i am satisfied except from the fact that i miss my office 365 subscription...i hate online office 365...i still hope that one day MS will release a linux version. Noob alert here!

Noob alert here!

Every single one of us was once a n00b.

Hmm... What advice would I tell a new user of Linux?

RTFM and see the 2nd link in my signature.

Staff online

Members online