It's time for a poll. How long have you used Linux?

it might have been better if it was a how long have you used *nix based OS .

LOL I'd not want to artificially inflate it. Linux is not Unix. Though that'd certainly change things. I used a terminal to connect to a mainframe at Dartmouth back in school - so early 70s.

6 years. 4 years using Mint, 2 years using Arch. I remember the exact date when I switched to Arch but I don't remember the date for Mint. Arch was on 25th May 2019.

I am newbie ex-apple100% gal, i learn linux late last year, i bought linux machine now i refuse to do anything on windows or mac ever i am now 100% Linux machine, OS, Opensource code free software only.
I start on mintOS now i have and use many VM's.

Last edited:
@msrachelroode, you don't use any proprietary software - like firmware and drivers?

For at least that long when I paid for a boxed copy of RedHat 5.0 at the circuit-city
xnetscape.png

I on system76 currently, i only use what i need to.

Yeah, there's probably some binary blobs in there with closed source. Still, that's pretty awesome!

Also, this forum (the software behind the site) is closed source. There are opensource options, but I didn't make that decision. Hell, I wasn't even a member when that decision was made.

For at least that long when I paid for a boxed copy of RedHat 5.0 at the circuit-city

I had an old boxed version from a store, but didn't start using Linux exclusively until like a decade later. I think I saw your image recently, at some nostalgia post or article. Good times! Good times!

Yeah, there's probably some binary blobs in there with closed source. Still, that's pretty awesome!

Also, this forum (the software behind the site) is closed source. There are opensource options, but I didn't make that decision. Hell, I wasn't even a member when that decision was made.
I just now operate in that my first choice is opensource where possible and to use as little proprietary anything whenever i can.
I so badly loved that Apple and ignorantly trusted them so much to be the best when in-fact all i was doing was funding the enemy all along and condoning all their privacy violations through sheer ignorance and i am so perturbed by my ignorance and possibly stupidity that i refuse to even buy a windows computer to use as Linux for example.
I am still v newbie to linux and outside of comfort zone yet i know i am now doing the best thing regardless to needing to re-learn another way of being online yet it is what it is as i need to do what i need to do.
Thanks to all you people and this site and such like otherwise newbie peop like me would just be left totally lost and alone with no where to turn other than selling our souls to Apple and MS etc.

I have been trying to use linux since ubuntu 6.04 but always had to fall back to windows as linux never seem to be ready for mainstream users, linux seems stuck on tinker stadium and who can afford tinkering with a os when you need work done ? Please consider posting a new poll of what is preventing users from switching to linux.

I'm not sure what such a poll would look like, as there are likely very different answers.

Also, I'm not sure why you feel like you need to tinker? Linux 'just works' out of the box, in my experience.

Ubuntu 6.04 6.06 was released around 2006. Either your age is incorrect or you have been using out of date distros ?

I have been trying to use linux since ubuntu 6.04 but always had to fall back to windows as linux never seem to be ready for mainstream users,
I have been playing with Linux since around 2001 and running it solely since Mint 9 [ july 2010] have you had a problem with Linux systems or have you been having problems with mindset, Linux is not and never will be windows so you have to forget everything Microsoft [or apple] and be prepared for a short learning curve

I am a lamer. I use OS Linux since 2008. Linux Mint, Ubuntu.( debian). Now I use OpenMandriva 4.2 . Why do I use OM 4.2 ? Wine (winexe) work well.(And others functions).
Have you cast your vote at the top of this page, @rutluif1984 ?

I don't think they're gonna be able to answer you. ;-)

First installed Slackware around 1995 to try to install DOOM shareware on it. I didn't start using it regularly until Redhat 5 box set came out around 1998 I believe. Started using it professionally in 1999 when our work ISP mail server kept going down and I spun up a Linux mail server to replace theirs.

Then I built my career on Linux.

G'day dcbrown, Welcome to Linux.org

Cast your vote in the poll at the top of this page, Please. !

Then I built my career on Linux
Your knowledge should help many people.

G'day dcbrown, Welcome to Linux.org

Cast your vote in the poll at the top of this page, Please. !

Your knowledge should help many people.
Ahh, I missed that as an option. I suppose it was before I confirmed my email address so answering the poll wasn't yet an option.

Done

I don't use Linux exclusively. Our main PC runs Windows 10 Pro. I installed Linux Mint on an older Windows 7 PC after wiping the HD and installed Windows 10 Home and Microsoft 365 in a VM on that machine.