It's time for a poll. How long have you used Linux?

G'day @Kobac , Welcome to Linux.org

Did you cast a vote in the poll at the top of this page ?...oops !!...Sorry, I see you did....Thank you!

Good to see you here !

There are a lot of votes now. Well, more votes than I anticipated.

So, my expectations were wrong in two areas. I expected a bell curve and less participation. I'm happy to be wrong on both counts.

There are a lot of votes now. Well, more votes than I anticipated.

So, my expectations were wrong in two areas. I expected a bell curve and less participation. I'm happy to be wrong on both counts.
You got an inverted bell curve lol.

Capture.PNG

I voted 5~10 years, because on the middle I paused to use MacOS. Since 2018 I come back to Linux

I don't use Linux exclusively. Our main PC runs Windows 10 Pro. On June 7 I installed Linux Mint on an older Windows 7 PC after wiping the HD and installed Windows 10 Home and Microsoft 365 in a VM on that machine.

It's time to say good-bye to Macrium Rescue Media for Linux, the other day I tried to install the new version (8) on my win 7 VM.

I got a massage saying...you need a newer version of windwoes to install this software...mmm that sounds familiar doesn't it.
mad0090.gif

Anyway it'll be a cold day in Hell before I update windwoes
mad0044.gif
but all is not lost because we have Foxclone, which is much faster and better and comes with easy to follow instructions...it's so easy to use a blind man could use it...Linux Forever.
happy0045.gif

almost 3 years and im still in learning mode.

I have been using Linux from a fairly tender age, our family computer dual-boots Debian (mainly for serious work-related matters), and Ubuntu (for general family use) which my Mom and Little Brother use, and in my case, used to use.

I have recently been endowed with a personal computer that I could call my own, (I do not really count my school-issued laptop as 'my own', I am not even really allowed to swap out Windows from it, live distros notwithstanding), to fulfill my schooling needs.

Thus, I have been a Linux user for almost 10 years now, and an OpenSUSE Tumbleweed user for almost two weeks now.

Yup. I'm still learning new things. Constantly learning new things, really. I enjoy that aspect.

I have been using Linux for about 22 years, then I was sitting on Debian, and it was a wonderful and difficult time, now everything is easier

I have used Linux few years back but only for 4 months due to my exams n project

Is it safe to assume you're using it again, or considering doing so?

For it’s been about 3 months.

I’ve used Windows for the last 18 years… and about 3 months ago I decided to try Linux… and eventually switched over completely.

Right now, I am running Fedora as my preferred distro with gnome DE.

So much to learn…every day I discover something new that I didn’t know was possible.

I have to say, I have had my moments of frustration, but I have to keep reminding myself that the issues I am having are usually related to my screw ups… so I can’t blame Linux for that :)

It took you years to build up your Windows skills, so the same will be true for Linux. It's a fun process.

Also, I've never been much of a Gnome fan. To each their own, of course. I just don't prefer it.

It took you years to build up your Windows skills, so the same will be true for Linux. It's a fun process.

Also, I've never been much of a Gnome fan. To each their own, of course. I just don't prefer it.

That is true! And even after 18 years, there will still be a lot more to learn!

I very much enjoy the fact that there's always more to learn - and that the knowledge is freely available to those willing to put the effort in. I'm pretty old, but I figure I'll never run out of stuff to learn before my time is up. That's good. I spent a huge portion of my life in academia and have always valued the pursuit of knowledge.

I very much enjoy the fact that there's always more to learn - and that the knowledge is freely available to those willing to put the effort in. I'm pretty old, but I figure I'll never run out of stuff to learn before my time is up. That's good. I spent a huge portion of my life in academia and have always valued the pursuit of knowledge.

I agree!

I forgot to mention, reason for Gnome preference, is due to the minimalist look from the get go, I don't need to customize all that much from a fresh install. I also tried KDE, but not a big fan, I find it has some bugs on Fedora 34 that I dont have with gnome. Also with gnome, there are less apps it seems... Gnome also has quite a bit of customization which is enough for me.

Maybe one day it will be a window manager :)