It's time for a poll. How long have you used Linux?

Well, I never thought that this would be a tricky question to answer. To be honest, I have been pretty intermittent in using Linux distros as my daily drivers. I started with Ubuntu and eventually migrated to Debian, with some experiences with Mint as well. It is a journey that started a while ago but that has been upgraded in the last two years, I guess.

I have been using Linux Mint since 2017. I switched from Windows10. I am on Linux mint 20.2 currently.
Always,
Wildman

Otherwise we'll be doing it all over again in 2 years 9 months ;)

If we want a poll, that may be our only recourse.

There might be some settings in the ACP. I do not know.

None that I can see

Ah, now I see. LOL I was wondering what CPL was. I just figured it out.

We could just change the name of the thread - assuming that it can still be edited (and it looks like it can be) - and just edit the first post to say that there was once a poll but the forum software ate it in a manner quite similar to how Chronus ate Rhea's babies.

and then came double density 5 -1/4" :)
I just saw this (about 3 months later) and realised something. In 1984, my Epson QX-10 was running 2 x 400k 5-1/4 flopperies. Which is crazy given that IBM PCs were limited to something like 175k.

One 5-1/4 drive for the cp/m OS plus software (Used to Boot in the Top drive from a cp/m disk, then swap in a Program disk and put a Data disk in the Bottom Drive.
Or maybe the OS disk stayed in the Top - I can't remember. It was last century, not long after some bloke on a mountain found some flat rocks with writing on them . .

I do recall the Program disk and the Data disk were top and bottom, and I know the initial boot HAD TO be from the actual (very expensive) OS disk.

(Caps for emphasis, so take ya fingers outa yer ears . .) :D

Once upon a time, this contained an actual poll - with votes and results.

This thread went on for so long that the forum decided to close the poll.

I've not come up with a good solution. When I do, I'll act on it. I have considered recreating the poll and making sure that the first post indicates that it's a temporary thing.

New here, not new to Linux. Though happenstance caused an interim of two years non-use, am now continuing a journey begun in July, 2010. Glad to be back to the most affordable OS on the planet.

Liberty! Free beer! Long live Linux!

This is the second computer that I have had Linux installed on. The first one was a old one back in 2017. This one was donated to me from PCs for people. Been with Linux for 6 years now.
Always,
Wildman

I had to just establish some arbitrary numbers.

Just pick the category to which you belong.

For fun, I've made it so that you can't see the poll results unless you have also voted.

Also for fun, you can not change your vote.

(I may sticky this for a few days. I want to give folks a chance to respond.)

If you need to add a caveat, do so in the thread. Note that this is in "General Linux" and not "Off-Topic", so please try to keep it on topic.
For 11 years now. It was a required course for Cisco Networking I finished in 2014. I'm really glad I had to take the 2 semester Linux course, I pretty much dumped Windows use Immediately !! But Linux is still a Love/Hate relationship LOL !!

This is the second computer that I have had Linux installed on. The first one was a old one back in 2017. This one was donated to me from PCs for people. Been with Linux for 6 years now.
Always,
Wildman
Thanks for the PC's for People reference !! Way better laptop than what I'm using for 100-125. I do qualify, thanks again !!

I've not come up with a good solution. When I do, I'll act on it. I have considered recreating the poll and making sure that the first post indicates that it's a temporary thing.
(quote from the first post: )
"that you can't see the poll results unless you have also voted.":
Sorry, I cannot see this poll ...
What is the intention - the idea behind (for) - of this poll ?

(quote from the first post: )
"that you can't see the poll results unless you have also voted.":
Sorry, I cannot see this poll ...
What is the intention - the idea behind (for) - of this poll ?

As for why, it was just for fun. There wasn't anything scientific about it. Using the data collected would be pointless as it was a simple snapshot in time.

As for why, it was just for fun. There wasn't anything scientific about it. Using the data collected would be pointless as it was a simple snapshot in time.
OK. Thank You. (Sad the poll is not to see itself still, just for the impression.)

I am thinking of am overview all Linux versions, with some columns important things/points, with also still later possible to add points.
(For example: For beginners, for kids, which are still in progress, and which are not.)
With at about 500 versions it needs some pre-sorting lists, to not to have to loose the overview with from 500 in one column.
Perhaps somehow just impossible. Just ´dreaming´, please.
(As alternative OS - as community built, and free - it is a very special kind of projects, these all Linux versions, and should be somehow ´fast and easy´ to (over)see and for to pre-select - also fast - the best fitting one, for anybody.)

OK. Thank You. (Sad the poll is not to see itself still, just for the impression.)

We largely fell between 5 and 15 years, tapering off after 10 years, as memory serves.

By nature of the poll's location, that is the polee, we also had a number of people on the new end - but not nearly as many as had been using Linux for a while.