It no longer makes sense for windows to be the default gaming OS

Ever wonder if you need to get out more?

Whatever works for you, enjoy.

Wiz
Going out!!! Are you crazy. The last time I left my house I got an achievement.
I won't do that again, I tell you.

1661016289781.png

I use flatpak Discord daily since most of those Game DEV I support used Discord and I have no problem with it at all that's why I wonder what performance-wise (and some features are buggy or just nonexistent) you talk about.

Same. Only New Games (DX12) and Anti-cheat games I really have a problem with but besides that I don't. I have over 2000 games on Steam and at least 80% of them run fine 2% I know don't and the last 18% not really played to say.
On Linux you cant stream audio or use the Krisp noise reduction thin on discord g for example. We still have issues with some games that are the key for Linux's commercial success such as League of Legends (which still has issues, especially on Intel and nVidia graphics cards), Valorant (which Is not compatible yet), Warzone etc.

We still have almost no other Native Launcher other than Steam. Launching games from Heroic sometimes Is problematic even because altough the game has a native build, Epic Games just ships Windows or Mac ones . All other launchers run fairly well through wine and forks but its not optimal.

EDIT: We also have "noob-proof" distros that are COMPLETELY BROKEN. Ubuntu, for example, might kill your graphical instance just by adding a PPA (It happened to me just yesterday with ppa:ernstp/mesarc). Wanna talk of all the issues Pop!_OS regarding boot and stuff? Every time I try to boot It from my main PC It says "you have to load the kernel first". People online say its an issue regarding secure boot, but secure boot Is disabled. It still has issues with the graphical store (which are getting fixed btw). Manjaro still has issues with SSL Certificates and other security concerns that make the distro completely unrecommendable.

We still have a lack of proprietary drives and peripherals software support

Linux Is at the highest point of it's existance gaming wise, but its not ready for the average gamer.

Last edited:
On Linux you cant stream audio or use the Krisp noise reduction thin on discord g for example. We still have issues with some games that are the key for Linux's commercial success such as League of Legends (which still has issues, especially on Intel and nVidia graphics cards), Valorant (which Is not compatible yet), Warzone etc.

We still have almost no other Native Launcher other than Steam. Launching games from Heroic sometimes Is problematic even because altough the game has a native build, Epic Games just ships Windows or Mac ones . All other launchers run fairly well through wine and forks but its not optimal.
Wait, league of legends is doable on Linux? I'd think otherwise with all that processor heavy anti-cheat stuff.

Wait, league of legends is doable on Linux? I'd think otherwise with all that processor heavy anti-cheat stuff.
I have played League of Legends on Linux for over a year. There Is a whole subreddit called r/Leagueoflinux.

Lmao LoL Is a nothing-heavy software lmao

we have steam and is all we need. Epic Client are bad, Ubisoft says themself that there Client is bad, EA Client is just a pain in the butt so we don't need them we have steam. also all games that are .exe or .sh can be played in steam just add them as non-steam game and use proton for exe games. done it many times.

Skærmbillede fra 2022-08-30 23-26-44.png

we have steam and is all we need. Epic Client are bad, Ubisoft says themself that there Client is bad, EA Client is just a pain in the butt so we don't need them we have steam. also all games that are .exe or .sh can be played in steam just add them as non-steam game and use proton for exe games. done it many times.

View attachment 13429
GOG also caters to Linux, the only thing I don't like about steam is their return policy is pretty strict, yet it makes sense since their games overall are pretty high quality and cheap

GOG also caters to Linux, the only thing I don't like about steam is their return policy is pretty strict, yet it makes sense since their games overall are pretty high quality and cheap
since he said Native Launcher not game if we talk about Native games then you can fine that a lot of places like itch,

since he said Native Launcher not game if we talk about Native games then you can fine that a lot of places like itch,
The launcher is less important, that's why i figured it was suitable to bring up.

I'm no gamer. At 60, I'm more into my photo/video-editing. But, thanks to a mate in the mid-90s - who spent all his time messing around with Doom! - I got something of an introduction to FPS gaming.

Even now, I'll pass the odd half-hour with a good FPS. But I'm not interested in the heavy, top-of-the-line AAA+ titles that everyone raves about; I actually prefer the indie stuff. Xonotic; RedEclipse; UrbanTerror.....to name but a few.

These are native Linux titles. At least, they started off this side of the fence, and didn't get ported to Windows until later. They run quite happily, either with the 'nouveau' OR Nvidia drivers. Which suits me; less messing about!

Mike.
hat-tip5.gif

View attachment 13429
Ofc so if people who bought stuff on other stores but want to switch to linux should piss on their wallet because "steam is all we need"?
There are games that are not available on steam my bro, Starcraft II is an example.

There are also other games that are a pain in the ass to configure like GTA V outside steam. Although it runs farly well, its just a pain in the ass to get it up and running. A pain I dont want to feel just to play a game. Want to talk about osu!? ? It still doesnt have a native launcher for linux and all the workarounds i've found online to get it to work just dont work anymore. Yes we have the unofficial clients, but you cant play online with people who use the official launcher

I have plenty of games on my Epic Games library that i would love to play on Linux but that dont run. Some of them also have a native Linux Builds but since epic games only ships the Windows build you are forced to use it and, guess what, proton isnt perfect

Starcraft II is an example.
There are also other games that are a pain in the ass to configure, like GTA V outside steam. Although it runs fairly well, it's just a pain in the ass to get it up and running.
I disagree. I have GTA5 running fine in wine, which was not hard to do.

Also, Starcraft 2 works fine in Wine. Most games work fine in Wine unless it's AAA games that just come out, use DX12, or use the Anti-cheat program.

If you want a game that is a pain in the ass to make to run try this one, then we can talk.

I have plenty of games on my Epic Games library that i would love to play on Linux but that don't run. Some of them also have native Linux Builds, but since epic games only ship the Windows build, you are forced to use it, and, guess what, proton isn't perfect
I can play all the epic games I have tried so far, so tell me what games you can't make to run because I'm curious. Also, you can play most epic games without opening the launcher after downloading by using lutris, so if it downloads the .sh file, just open with that one, and it should run in OpenGL.

this is me benchmark Hitman 3 on Epic client

Just live stream this.
this is a Epic game played without useing the Epic client and run in wine with Proton 7-27 with lutris

Last edited:
Good grief Mike Walsh from Puppy - Nice to see you Mike Walsh.
Darren

I personally spent hundreds of dollars on that steam library, and half I can't play because both linux and my choice to sell and get rid of my other desktop that could...I suffered loss of dollar value, yet considering what you have to do to get a Windows 11 system up and running, and that I lose time I could have spent messing around with linux, I have no regrets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally spent hundreds of dollars on that steam library, and half I can't play because both linux and my choice to sell and get rid of my others desktop that could...I suffered loss of dollar value, yet considering what you have to do to get a Windows 11 system up and running, and that I lose time I could have spent messing around with linux, I have no regrets.

Only! I have spent over 5000 even over 7000 dollars on my steam I own 2000+ games + 1000+ DLC. Most of my games work. No problem, you can check my youtube for games I played. You can check my steam https://steamcommunity.com/id/KibaSnowpaw.
For games i own.
If games don't work, most of the time, because of the Antichaet system not supported unless it DX12 like Halo Infinite that just has begun getting supported now. That is the problem sometimes, but rarely do games like Resident evil need WMP to work or like BLUE REFLECTION that needs MF-install installed. Most Singel player games will work in Wine/proton or OpenGL. If they don't, you may not have set up your Linux distro right with the correct library since not all distros come with them preinstalled, like POP_OS! and Garuda.

Only! I have spent over 5000 even over 7000 dollars on my steam I own 2000+ games + 1000+ DLC. Most of my games work. No problem, you can check my youtube for games I played. You can check my steam https://steamcommunity.com/id/KibaSnowpaw.
For games i own.
If games don't work, most of the time, because of the Antichaet system not supported unless it DX12 like Halo Infinite that just has begun getting supported now. That is the problem sometimes, but rarely do games like Resident evil need WMP to work or like BLUE REFLECTION that needs MF-install installed. Most Singel player games will work in Wine/proton or OpenGL. If they don't, you may not have set up your Linux distro right with the correct library since not all distros come with them preinstalled, like POP_OS! and Garuda.
in the end i didn't suffer much of a loss in terms of what i spent on the steam library anyway, because a lot of the games i have have a lot of replay value...i don't know how much of this issue i mentioned before, Hallow Knight cost me like $12 and i "have to" beat it again at 112% completion because steam structures it so that cross OS saves don't carry over, in other words on linux i basically have to start over to complete my desired goal of beating absolute radiance. I've been playing from the beginning on Ubuntu, i can't say it's painful or anything! In the end it's just about dollars to gaming hours, i've got several linux compatible games on my wishlist but there's still so much in my library i could expand upon, i think beating portal and portal 2 again will also be worth it :-D

in the end i didn't suffer much of a loss in terms of what i spent on the steam library anyway, because a lot of the games i have have a lot of replay value...i don't know how much of this issue i mentioned before, Hallow Knight cost me like $12 and i "have to" beat it again at 112% completion because steam structures it so that cross OS saves don't carry over, in other words on linux i basically have to start over to complete my desired goal of beating absolute radiance. I've been playing from the beginning on Ubuntu, i can't say it's painful or anything! In the end it's just about dollars to gaming hours, i've got several linux compatible games on my wishlist but there's still so much in my library i could expand upon, i think beating portal and portal 2 again will also be worth it :-D

Don't use Ubuntu for gaming; please, it comes with nothing. You have to compile it all yourself, so unless you know how to do that and know what you need, then using Ubuntu is more a pain in the butt than it is worth. I would personally recommend POP_OS! If you are like most Linux people as to why they use Linux, but if you like me that you don't care programs are licensed, and the distro is full of stuff you may not need but make the use of it better, then I would recommend Garuda Gaming edition. But I would never recommend Ubuntu for gaming unless you are a pro of setting it up for gaming.

Don't use Ubuntu for gaming; please, it comes with nothing. You have to compile it all yourself, so unless you know how to do that and know what you need, then using Ubuntu is more a pain in the butt than it is worth. I would personally recommend POP_OS! If you are like most Linux people as to why they use Linux, but if you like me that you don't care programs are licensed, and the distro is full of stuff you may not need but make the use of it better, then I would recommend Garuda Gaming edition. But I would never recommend Ubuntu for gaming unless you are a pro of setting it up for gaming.
Every game with the steam logo (works on steamOS) requires no additional effort on Ubuntu, I've tried several games with and without compatibility mode and this is the case. Since playing games is just leisure, I'm going to keep it like this as I'm not much of a gamer, I don't wanna mess with any extra stuff currently.

Every game with the steam logo (works on steamOS) requires no additional effort on Ubuntu, I've tried several games with and without compatibility mode and this is the case. Since playing games is just leisure, I'm going to keep it like this as I'm not much of a gamer, I don't wanna mess with any extra stuff currently.

Games with the steam logo are Native games and use OpenGL. That's why it doesn't need any tweaking. Any other game uses DXVK (dx10/11) or Vulkan/VKD3D (dx12) and needs Wine to run, you can use Proton, which is Wine with a Runtime overlay steam can use to make the game run. Proton uses Wine 5.x 32bit to run the games. Some games may not work with Proton or Wine since they need things that Wine has no support for or program you Manuel need to intall like WMP.

Members online

Latest posts