It no longer makes sense for windows to be the default gaming OS

Due to the content in the thread, I presume, AdSense is recommending Final Fantasy XIV "online". It also appears to be trying to show me a PS5/PS4 version. I dunno, I'm not a gamer.

My question is, can you play that online version - or does it require software on your computer, such as anti-cheat stuff? Are the assets fully online or do you need to run something locally? I rooted around at the linked site, but learned nothing.

Like:

I know some games are completely online, you need only a browser to run them. That seems a bit clunky for something like this (I'm familiar with the series) but I guess it'd work, though I'd think it's asking a whole lot from the browser. But, I have no idea the current state of the tech. The last gaming I really did was Fallout 2. Well, I did play KoL for a while, but that wasn't so much gaming as it was just pressing buttons to kill time.
You definitely need to have gigabytes of content installed on your computer but beyond that I have no clue

i have 2000+ Games on my steam ACC and i have no problem playing most of them as long they dont use anti-cheat or WMP and some DX12 can be a little junky to play but can run just not as good.

You definitely need to have gigabytes of content installed on your computer but beyond that I have no clue

I figured that was the case. Thanks! It seemed really likely that it'd require local assets, even if they could have done the whole thing in something WASM (or something similar).

That's very good news to me, reinforces my argument of the thread, but I suppose people will continue being kinda lazy and using windows anyway. I currently don't have any reason to use it.
Currently I do have 1 reason to use it - trainers. But I gave up using it bc I've had enough of Micro$hit's limitation of my rights on my own computer. If some day the people making trainers start making them for linux as well, that would be great and then I'll have 0 reasons to use windows. I'm not a shooting gamer and as such I suck at shooting games - Mad Max, GTA 5, Crysis, etc. For such games I need trainers or at least integrated cheat codes, just like Fallout has them. Unfortunately my favorite game (Mad Max) doesn't have integrated cheat codes, so the only way for me to play it without dying at every step is using a trainer for infinite health. I tried running the trainer in linux but it wouldn't detect the game process.

If you are really picky about what you want to play, and are willing to to spend a lot of money to feed your love of gaming, then I guess windows would be the best choice...since the driver installation for graphics cards is a little better.

However, a surprising number of games in my steam library are Ubuntu compatible, i just test Portal 2 to see if it works, and so far it does. I'm really happy about how much progress general linux computing has made over the past 4 years, my experience this time around since I tried it originally has been much different. The more expensive graphics cards are totally unnecessary for gaming, the Nividia 1060GTX, which now pretty old and cheap as far as computer hardware is concerned, can pretty much play everything on steam.

For those who don't need to have the latest/greatest graphics and sound, then linux works great as a gaming kernel. I'm guess some graphics cards will still work without driver installation. My 5600G processor is supposed to support graphics on its own to a pretty high degree...we'll see how it goes!
Yet it still is. It still makes sense because:
1) Some games are still unavailable due to anticheat issues (either ideological or commercial)
2) Discord support on Linux is awful3
3) Gaming peripherals still dont have native programs
4) The only native Launcher is Steam and sometimes Tinkering is needed. Compatibility issues will eventually occur

If we're ever going to see Linux.Based Operative Systems as the defaults for gaming, its going to take a long time, I think not less than a whole decade or even more.

1) Some games are still unavailable due to anticheat issues (either ideological or commercial)
4) The only native Launcher is Steam and sometimes Tinkering is needed. Compatibility issues will eventually occur

If we're ever going to see Linux.Based Operative Systems as the defaults for gaming, its going to take a long time, I think not less than a whole decade or even more.
I highly doubt it will be the default gaming OS in 10 years, it has a lot more hope as a general purpose desktop environment...but unfortunately only around 2-4% of desktop/laptop users are linuxers,

So far, practically every game that has needed proton (simply compatibility mode in steam...) has had issues, where games that work automatically in steam have not had issues running. With hallow knight, i've had problems with the cloud data (which is very unfortunate, because i was close to completing everything!), but any game that has linux functionality under system requirements works just fine.

1. I think the biggest problem is anti-cheat and then DX12 like Halo Infinite which just is beginning to be supported now.
2. That's why I use the Flatpak version I have not had a problem with it yet so maybe I'm just lucky.
3. I don't use that so it's not really a problem for me but I can see why people would hate that.
4. not true as long the game has an .Sh start file then even lutris can Launch the game native or in OpenGL as it will be running. More and more games have a Linux version or at least those I play most of them will be VNG games but still, I see them more and more and I use both Lutris or steam to start playing them in OpenGL. Unless you talk about gaming Launcher client then yes you right.

I don't agree with you there if you just look 2-3 years back and then to what we have now then it has changed a lot even if you just look 1 year back it has gone really fast. I rarely meet games I can't play. it's mostly games with anti-cheat or some DX12 games. sure I may have lower FPS or even some stuttering here and there but you can play them and that's a beginning as soon more and more play on Linux the faster it goes with getting some of this stuff fixed because there will be more focus on it.
Or that's my take on it.
So the more that use Linux for gaming the bigger change that Linux. Based Operative Systems will default for gaming. As you already see Laptop gets shipped with Linux preinstalled.

Last edited:
1. I think the biggest problem is anti-cheat and then DX12 like Halo Infinite which just is beginning to be supported now.
2. That's why I use the Flatpak version I have not had a problem with it yet so maybe I'm just lucky.
3. I don't use that so it's not really a problem for me but I can see why people would hate that.
4. not true as long the game has an .Sh start file then even lutris can Launch the game native or in OpenGL as it will be running. More and more games have a Linux version or at least those I play most of them will be VNG games but still, I see them more and more and I use both Lutris or steam to start playing them in OpenGL. Unless you talk about gaming Launcher client then yes you right.

I don't agree with you there if you just look 2-3 years back and then to what we have now then it has changed a lot even if you just look 1 year back it has gone really fast. I rarely meet games I can't play. it's mostly games with anti-cheat or some DX12 games. sure I may have lower FPS or even some stuttering here and there but you can play them and that's a beginning as soon more and more play on Linux the faster it goes with getting some of this stuff fixed because there will be more focus on it.
Or that's my take on it.
So the more that use Linux for gaming the bigger change that Linux. Based Operative Systems will default for gaming. As you already see Laptop gets shipped with Linux preinstalled.
I forgot to talk about VR Support, which Is almost nonexistent on Linux. Yes there Is ALVR but i've never managed to get It to work. Discord on Wayland doesnt support PTT outside of the Window (like if the Window Is focused you can use It until the cursor Is inside the Window). Shitty compatibility with the League of Legends client on Intel HD Graphics and bad integration with X11

Or that's my take on it.
That's overall true, even though windows is still "the best" for gaming if that's the only thing you want out of your desktop and you have lots of money to spend. Right now it's just based on popularity...Nvidia would accommodate Linux users if more people used Linux distros for gaming, and who knows what this will be like in the long run? Chances are, windows will stay on top, yet monopolies don't always stay that way.

I forgot to talk about VR Support, which Is almost nonexistent on Linux. Yes there Is ALVR but i've never managed to get It to work. Discord on Wayland doesnt support PTT outside of the Window (like if the Window Is focused you can use It until the cursor Is inside the Window). Shitty compatibility with the League of Legends client on Intel HD Graphics and bad integration with X11
you didn't say Wayland you said Linux there is a difference NVIDIA don't work on Wayland ether. that many things that don't work in Wayland.
That's overall true, even though windows is still "the best" for gaming if that's the only thing you want out of your desktop and you have lots of money to spend. Right now it's just based on popularity...Nvidia would accommodate Linux users if more people used Linux distros for gaming, and who knows what this will be like in the long run? Chances are, windows will stay on top, yet monopolies don't always stay that way.
Yes and no. it depends on a lot of things and what kind of gaming we are talking about because some games mostly old games do run better on Linux and i even played games i own on Disk i can't get to work on windows anymore unless i install windows XP. but for newer games sure then windows is the way if you want to.

Yes and no. it depends on a lot of things and what kind of gaming we are talking about because some games mostly old games do run better on Linux and i even played games i own on Disk i can't get to work on windows anymore unless i install windows XP. but for newer games sure then windows is the way if you want to.
That's why i put "the best" in quotes...people tend to equate newer and more taxing to your computer system with "the best", but it's not that simple. Software is still pretty damn mysterious to me, which is why i've had some interest in programming over the past few years. I mostly use the internet to find information and talk to people, as far as video games, i only really care about how addictive it is, graphics don't necessarily enhance gaming experience, and for me playing online with other people detracts from gaming because i'm not very good at it anyway!

That's why i put "the best" in quotes...people tend to equate newer and more taxing to your computer system with "the best", but it's not that simple. Software is still pretty damn mysterious to me, which is why i've had some interest in programming over the past few years. I mostly use the internet to find information and talk to people, as far as video games, i only really care about how addictive it is, graphics don't necessarily enhance gaming experience, and for me playing online with other people detracts from gaming because i'm not very good at it anyway!

No graphics don't enhance the gaming experience what does it the feeling that the Dev put their all into the game! That's why I don't play a lot of AAA games i feel like they have lost their soul about what gaming really is.

for gaming you can see what i play here
https://odysee.com/@TheDanishFurryGamer:c
or my youtube live stream.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrNO2liFw3M85GZWP6e9CQg

No graphics don't enhance the gaming experience what does it the feeling that the Dev put their all into the game! That's why I don't play a lot of AAA games i feel like they have lost their soul about what gaming really is.

for gaming you can see what i play here
https://odysee.com/@TheDanishFurryGamer:c
or my youtube live stream.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrNO2liFw3M85GZWP6e9CQg
That's also why i'm not that irritated that the date for Silksong keeps getting pushed back, I'd rather it's just as good as hollow knight than it comes out quickly. Can it be even better?! Who knows! Doesn't really need to be! I also really loved "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" but it's sequel "Mankind Divided" was a lot worse and the PC port had tons of bugs. I only spent 4$ on the sequel but it was a pretty lame disappointment.

you didn't say Wayland you said Linux there is a difference NVIDIA don't work on Wayland ether. that many things that don't work in Wayland.

No, I mean that Discord support Is awful performance wise (and some features are buggy or just nonexistent) and ALSO you cant use PTT on Wayland. I really want Linux to become the default for Gaming, but right now its not the best platform, even though Gaming on Linux Is much Better than gaming on MacOS

Wayland now works with Nvidia tho

No, I mean that Discord support Is awful performance wise (and some features are buggy or just nonexistent) and ALSO you cant use PTT on Wayland. I really want Linux to become the default for Gaming, but right now its not the best platform, even though Gaming on Linux Is much Better than gaming on MacOS

That's not a Wayland problem but a Discord problem, same reason why screen-sharing on Teams with Wayland doesn't work because the Teams Electron app hasn't been adjusted to make it work or it could be an Electron problem since I read something about that as well. I have an Nvidia graphics card now so I will make an attempt this weekend to game on Wayland with my Nvidia card :)

I do all of my gaming on Linux these days with little to no issue, although I do mostly play older games, or games that are not as demanding, mainly because my laptop is not exactly a powerhouse.

I use flatpak Discord daily since most of those Game DEV I support used Discord and I have no problem with it at all that's why I wonder what performance-wise (and some features are buggy or just nonexistent) you talk about.

I do all of my gaming on Linux these days with little to no issue, although I do mostly play older games, or games that are not as demanding, mainly because my laptop is not exactly a powerhouse.

Same. Only New Games (DX12) and Anti-cheat games I really have a problem with but besides that I don't. I have over 2000 games on Steam and at least 80% of them run fine 2% I know don't and the last 18% not really played to say.

Members online

Latest posts