It looks like Ubuntu 23.04 will use code name 'lunar lobster'...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
There was some speculation yesterday, but I decided to check chat. The testing page hasn't updated yet, but folks in chat are indicating that it's either 'lunar lobster' or there's a whole lot of people who are gonna be wrong. So, if they're wrong I am wrong.

(This is information from a public chat, #ubuntu-flavors, so it's public information.)

As someone in Maine, I like the idea of 'lunar lobster'.

I dunno if they'll use the word 'loony', but it could happen.

I can't help thinking the previous "L"......10.04 LTS 'Lucid Lynx'.....just sounded a hell of a lot better, somehow. Ubuntu's code names this last few years are going from the sublime to the ridiculous!!

Mike. ;)

I kinda like the lunar, as we move into a time (in *my* hemisphere) where the moon rules the day. I also like the lobster, 'cause I'm in a state famous for lobsters (Maine, USA).

Also, here's some more confirmation:

I can't help thinking the previous "L"......10.04 LTS 'Lucid Lynx'.....just sounded a hell of a lot better, somehow. Ubuntu's code names this last few years are going from the sublime to the ridiculous!!

Mike. ;)
Hmmm, i don't think "jammy jellyfish" is really any more rediculous than "warty warthog", but a lunar lobster would certainly be the silliest. Maybe they should rename kali "lobster attack".

If lobsters ever attack, it's gonna be delicious!

Also, names start with the same letter. So, lobster attack would be LA and not a valid selection. That's why it's things like Impish Indri. We also really only use the first word for a lot of stuff. That means this one will be known as 'lunar' at sites like the testing tracker.

The only part of the name I worry about is the first part, ie. how easy is it for me to starting typing "lunar" given that's the codename I'll be typing 600+ times during the development cycle, plus numerous times post-release (esp. if a LTS release).

eoan & hirsute were words I really sort of needed to learn, meaning I made the odd typos early in the cycle, but they also helped me increase my vocabulary slightly too :)

I'll be typing 600+ times during the development cycle, plus numerous times post-release (esp. if a LTS release).

By then, you'll have it ingrained as muscle memory!

(Only to have to turn around and learn another one when we get to M.)

Hmmm, i don't think "jammy jellyfish" is really any more rediculous than "warty warthog", but a lunar lobster would certainly be the silliest. Maybe they should rename kali "lobster attack".
Heh. Yah; fair comment.... If I'm perfectly honest, the one that cracked me up the most was 7.10 : "Gutsy Gibbon". I still p**s myself laughing every time I recall that one; it just tickles my 'funny-bone' the wrong way!

Mike. :D

Do you think he was gusty rather than gutsy, Mike?

Ah yes... Turning a perfectly good announcement thread into a fart joke thread.

Only on Linux.org! :p

Members online

Latest posts