Issues w/ Evolution and Gmail

Jeffrey Lapinski

Reaction score
Credits
I am having issues getting Gmail to sync with evolution. I am running Manjaro Cinnamon and I add Gmail to my online account and I keep geting an error message that my credentials have expired. I have enabled 2 - factor verification and I both POP and IMAP settings are enabled in my Gmail account itself.

Screenshot from 2018-10-11 17-54-33.png

both POP and IMAP settings are enabled in my Gmail account itself
Hi Jeffrey. Your graphic isn't really conveying much information to us...is that from Evolution? But also, I don't think I've ever seen BOTH pop and imap email setups configured at the same time, even though I did see that Gmail seems to allow this. In the Gmail settings there is a "Learn more" link that explains the differences between them and explains how to set them up fairly well.

I will guess that you want to use imap.... because this method will synchronize your mail across multiple devices (your phone, as well as each of the multi-multi distros that you want to run across multiple computers). I can't see any reason for you to use pop mail, and perhaps it is part of the trouble you are having. If not needed, turn it off, and start the process over again.

I have Evolution installed but no accounts setup, so I can try to configure Gmail on here too in order to help find the trouble if needed. I had setup Thunderbird with Gmail before, but I didn't really like the way it worked. If the problem persists (after disabling pop email)... then also try to tell us at what point this credential error is occurring in the setup steps, and if there is any other info that may provide clues.

Cheers

I agree about the POP and IMAP both being enabled, it didn’t make sense to me either. The account worked in the past as IMAP but today it stopped working. As for the error message, that’s all I am getting. Sadly it isn’t telling me much!

Just finished configuring Evolution on my Gmail account with IMAP. I had to fiddle around with the settings... making sure that the correct port numbers, etc, were set in Evolution to match Google's instructions. I found that STARTTLS did not work for me, but TLS on a dedicated port did. After enough fiddling around, a popup window came up and I had to log into Gmail from there (in Evolution) and tell Gmail to give Evolution permission to do all this. Once granted, then it all took off okay.

At no time did I see the error that you have though. Besides pop email being disabled, I also do not use two-factor authentication, but the Evolution setting for receiving and sending shows "OAuth2 (Google)" as the authentication type.

I disabled POP and the 2 factor authentication. Removed and tried to reconnect the account. I checked all the IMAP and SMTP settings and everything is correct. :confused:

I am going to dig around and see what else I can come up with!

Code:
Failed to authenticate: Failed to obtain an access token for “[email protected]”: Failed to retrieve credentials from the keyring

This is the error that I am currently receiving

On my own PC......I tried Evolution, and while it started out ok.....it popped a few "strange" errors at random times....too long ago to remember what they were.

Initially it did not seem to affect the performance of Evolution (I was accessing gmail via evolution ), but these moments of weirdness were enough to convince me to uninstall all traces of Evolution and set up Thunderbird anew. I need predictability and accurate performance, and evolution was not capable of giving me that.

I'm heading that way! I like Thunderbird for email, I was using Evolution because I like the calendar but I may have to chuck it in lieu of Lightning.

Lightning has dramas in Thunderbird 50 and beyond....however the people at Thunderbird have written a fix....HERE

I would think that the people at Mozilla or at Lightning will fix the Calendar issue sooner rather than later

Last edited:
HERE ....did you read this ?

It was included in post #9

You have to establish priorities Jeffrey.......Linux always comes first !
b_Zo_Rud6_-_Imgur.gif

In all seriousness, you may need a few quiet moments before you tackle the article i linked to.

aWZkM0E.jpg

Another Simon & Garfunkel re - if you bugger things up

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping

I kill me

Wiz