Issues getting Bumblebee to work properly

J

juls_

Hi everyone,
first of all if this is the wrong section: sorry in advance and feel free to move it to a more appropriate one :)

So I'm having a new laptop (Asus N56VZ) which was pre-set up with Linux (Fedora 19 3.12.5-200.fc19.x86_64) and I'm enjoying it very much so far. It uses an nVidia optimus card. Bumblebee and everything seems to be installed properly however I'm having dificulties when I'm trying to run applications using the nvidia card:
$ optirun glxinfo
[ 1766.354692] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU, secondary X is not active.

[ 1766.354749] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.

There are already lot's of threads on this issue but I couldn't resolve it yet.

Here are a few more things:
//edit: Apparently the Forum thinks there are "hidden" links within my post. Not sure where thats supposed to be, but please take a look at the attached .txt file... I have no other option to post the additional info :(

Hopefully this is enough information to debug it from someone with far more experience than me :)
I may add that I executed bumblebee-nvidia the first time I was debugging this and it worked fine after that... but unfortunately only until the next restart.

Also when I got the system this file was present:
cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia.conf
blacklist nvidia

Is this correct?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Attachments

• bumblebee_forum.txt
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,605

Hi everyone,
first of all if this is the wrong section: sorry in advance and feel free to move it to a more appropriate one :)

So I'm having a new laptop (Asus N56VZ) which was pre-set up with Linux (Fedora 19 3.12.5-200.fc19.x86_64) and I'm enjoying it very much so far. It uses an nVidia optimus card. Bumblebee and everything seems to be installed properly however I'm having dificulties when I'm trying to run applications using the nvidia card:

There are already lot's of threads on this issue but I couldn't resolve it yet.

Here are a few more things:
//edit: Apparently the Forum thinks there are "hidden" links within my post. Not sure where thats supposed to be, but please take a look at the attached .txt file... I have no other option to post the additional info :(

Hopefully this is enough information to debug it from someone with far more experience than me :)
I may add that I executed bumblebee-nvidia the first time I was debugging this and it worked fine after that... but unfortunately only until the next restart.

Also when I got the system this file was present:

Is this correct?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

You may want to upgrade to Fedora 20, but wait and see what other users here think before you do so.

@ryanvade, what do you suggest concerning this Nvidia issue?

I am not sure why your system is blacklisting the Nvidia driver since it is used with bumblebee. Could we have a look at bumblebee.conf? (/etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf). If your configuration says to use nouveau instead of Nvidia, the blacklist would make sense. But if it is set to Nvidia the blacklist file should be removed.

Thanks a lot for your help guys! Actually I found the issue. I was reinstalling bumblebee-nvidia and removed the /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-blacklist.conf and upon the next restart it worked. However when I rebooted the 2nd time the nvidia card wouldn't work anymore. I noticed that my system automatically seems to create a blacklist-nvidia.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d everytime i reboot the machine and therefore disabling it every time.
Is there a way to check what could generate the blacklist-nvidia file without my knowledge? Or is there a way to prevent it from writing it there?

Thank you very much in advance!

//edit: Seems to work if I just comment out the content of /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia.conf
The system doesn't seem to overwrite it upon restart. Still curious as to why it would do it if I remove the file completely :)

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online