Issue with Clonezilla Live disk image recovery/create

urek

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I'm experiencing an issue with Clonezilla, either saving or restoring images.

I started using this tool days ago and i could easily create a system image with, however i never succeded to recover it
because clonezilla could never find the image in the drive ( I was using the same USB drive with 1 partition for host clonezilla live and storage/recover the same image )

Error : no disk image is found in /home/partimag

Then, after some unsuccesfully tries, i decided to explore the official Clonezilla documentation (source : https://drbl.org/faq/fine-print.php...aq#120_image_repository_on_same_usb_stick.faq)
i found out that Clonezilla-live support this specific use-case ( same drive for clonezilla live and image storage ), however it need be installed on another partition.

So i deleted the partition, formatted the drive, created a partiton table (msdos - MBR ) with 2 partitions (4gb/4gb):
- one to install clonezilla live
- another to store images/backups

The problem is that now i cannot even create a disk image anymore, the clonezilla wizard show some error pointing out that maybe my disk could be full and since i cannot not find a way to gather some logs yet, i haven't currently.

So i decided to try again and reformat the USB drive, this time with a ~ 512mb(clonezilla live)/7.5gb(images storage) partition table setup.

But the full disk space problem still persist.

Current configuration:

- Lubuntu 18.04 x64 ( fresh install, just vscode installed )
- pendrive 8gb ( currently bi-partitioned , one with clonezilla live - 512 mb - and the other one for image-repo purpose - remaining space)
- Clonezilla version : 2.7.1-22 x64

I was looking for a free backup/disk image tool that could provide me a secure environment at startup for recovery purpose, like Clonezilla do.
That's why i am trying to stick with this option.

Thanks in advance.

Urek

Last edited:

G'day urek, Welcome to Linux.org

Are you taking a complete system Image ?

What is the size of your hard drive and the data on it ?

In Lubuntu there will be a disks area in the menu (I assume)....and it should tell you there how much space is used and how much is available on your hard drive.

However much is used will be the space necessary to allow for your image (plus a bit more)
Dont skimp on space....very few apps like to be hemmed in.

I have found clonezilla to be easy to take a system image of, but a bit touchy where restoring that image is concerned.

For that reason I now use Vorta.
It works both ways with relative ease.
I accessed it via Linux Mint's Software Manager

I am unsure if it is included in Lubuntu's Software Centre

Vorta.png

Hello @Condobloke and thanks for your reply.

Yes, i am taking a complete disk/system image

My hard drive currently count with 500GB of memory on it. Of which 484 are free ( 16GB used ) and the last time i created a disk image with CloneZilla it took like ~3GB space in my USB; if Vorta will take about my used space to create an image, i could not use my USB anymore to store it.

Anyway, thanks for this new backup alternative, i will try it soon.

Urek

, i am taking a complete disk/system image

If only 16GB is used on the hard drive, then you have only the OS installed ?.......you haven't installed any apps/saved any pics/data/music?
Only took 3 gb of space on your usb....does not make sense. If you are taking a full image of your system .....the system has to be bigger than 3gb

Quoting myself..
[...]
Current configuration:

- Lubuntu 18.04 x64 ( fresh install, just vscode installed )
I just had vscode installed in my pc, nothing else.

And yes, the image occupied about 3GB.

Really strange, right?

Lubuntu 18.04 x64 ( fresh install, just vscode installed )...

It might help to explain this setup, and G'day @urek and welcome to linux.org from another Aussie :)

vscode is Visual Studio code and I was reading a link or two yesterday after I approved your first Post.

Visual Studio Code is a freeware source-code editor made by Microsoft for Windows, Linux and macOS. Features include support for debugging, syntax highlighting, intelligent code completion, snippets, code refactoring, and embedded Git.

and

Size: Windows: 40.8–68.3 MB; Linux: 46.5–66.6 MB; macOS: 67.5 MB

I am guessing you may be using what is known as Lubuntu Alternate version which features a minimal number of applications, and was downloaded as

lubuntu-18.04-alternate-amd64.iso - size 717 MB

Is that so?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

You might as well stop now and go back to the beginning.

Support for 18.04 ends this month. There's no direct upgrade path to 20.04 with Lubuntu. So, you can't just click upgrade and get a working computer - even though the computer will offer to do so. It's due to a major shift in dynamics that resulted in the Lubuntu developers opting to move to LXQt.

So, install something that will be supported. No, there's no extended support for Lubuntu - just Ubuntu. I recommend 20.04.

Thanks for the replies folks. I will give you as much informations you need

I am guessing you may be using what is known as Lubuntu Alternate version which features a minimal number of applications, and was downloaded as

lubuntu-18.04-alternate-amd64.iso - size 717 MB

Is that so?

No, i'm sure i downloaded the default version ( ~ 1.1GB ISO size ) to install.
Then i had to format my USB drive to use it as a Clonezilla Live host drive, and then everything i did until now as i described in my first post.

So, install something that will be supported. No, there's no extended support for Lubuntu - just Ubuntu. I recommend 20.04.

Well, i'll try this new version so. If it doesn't work, i rollback - i don't like lxqt, lxde is so light and functional :), and this pc is 10+ years old already.
Since i didn't install anything aside vscode ( yes, it's entire name is Visual Studio Code haha, i forgot to spell it entirely ) would not be a big loss.

LXQt isn't very heavy, it's actually pretty great once you get used to it. (Trust me, I was and am the greatest fan of LXDE.) The thing is, Lubuntu 18.04 is not going to be supported after this month. The Lubuntu bits, of which there are many, will simply stop being updated - leaving your computer at risk.

It's still possible to use LXDE, but please do so with a supported OS as the underpinnings. You can still install LXDE on 20.04 and use that. But, give LXQt a few weeks and you'll find it's pretty great. It's actually still really lightweight, using maybe just an extra 100 to 150 MB of RAM.

Note: Moving to 20.04 won't fix this specific problem, but fixing the problem in an unsupported release is mostly just wasting your time.

@KGIII Bad news, i cannot even install Lubuntu 20.04 because of this error :

'The installer failed to create a partition table on 'HDD_DEVICE_NAME''

I Tried to choose manual partitioning with one root partition config and the problem still persist.

Install configuration :
- Erase Disk

Well, i think it's my unlucky day eheh

EDIT : maybe i would have to use this post to open a topic on Lubuntu official support forum?

Attachments

• lubuntu_install_error.jpg
    lubuntu_install_error.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 367
  • lubuntu_install_config.jpg
    lubuntu_install_config.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
That is bizarre and yeah, swing by the Lubuntu Discourse or stop by the chat. I recommend the Discourse. Chat isn't as quick as people expect it to be. I have no idea what'd cause that error.

The first question is going to be if you verified the download. I'm not sure why you'd get that installer error - but I know there have been a couple of installer bugs cropping up recently - but that's with 21.04 so I'm unable to speculate.

The folks there will get you sorted, usually pretty quickly. It's beta week, so there are a ton of eyes on the next version. Still, that means people will be around and active. The devs all hang out on the Discourse, so it's easy to get in touch with 'em there.

wondering if clonezilla is running from the USB FAT32 ? it needs to be ext3 or 4

clonezilla requires the destination drive USB to be mounted first i think, check that

tools that I use
gparted live on CD
puppy linux on USB [ext4] boot flag set
if those dont do it try partedmagic well worth the 11$

wondering if clonezilla is running from the USB FAT32 ? it needs to be ext3 or 4

On the official website i found out that Clonezilla could be installed either on an ext[2-4] drive ( if it's purpose is to deal with linux distributions) or FAT/NTFS in alternative.

tools that I use
gparted live on CD
puppy linux on USB [ext4] boot flag set
The point of my first post was using just 1 drive ( in this case an USB drive ) to host Clonezilla live, store the generated backup and using it to recover the system in the future.

You think i should format both partitions ( czilla live and image repository) to ext4 to make it works?

PS : @KGIII i solved the problem and upgraded the S.O to 20.04 version succefully.

My way of achieving the same thing is I keep a usb stick dedicated to the OS I have on the laptop/pc
Nothing else is on that usb stick.

I keep Timeshift snapshots taken both immediately after install of the os and then perhaps 2 each month thereafter......the number taken depends on the level of activity.

At any given time I can boot to the usb stick and restore any snapshot I like.....(this gives me a totally operational system again).........which one will depend on the circumstances surrounding my need to do that. I keep notes alongside the snapshots indicating what the 'state of the nation' was when I took the snapshot.
Snapshots can be a bit large, especially the first one, so they are kept on an external drive.

For all data/documents/music/apps/pics etc, I use Vorta. Also stored on a separate drive....usually the same one as Timeshift snapshots.

I never keep backups of tv shows or movies etc....if I need them desperately enough I simply redownload them.

I underlined pics because they are generally irreplaceable. I keep a backup of those in two places. Separate drives.

Just food for thought

PS : @KGIII i solved the problem and upgraded the S.O to 20.04 version succefully.

Good to hear :)

A part of what I was asking about was to also follow up and establish that EOL (end of life) for 18.04 was end of this month, but then David @KGIII covered that, and well and good.

Wizard

Forget Clonezilla, it's not worth the trouble. :eek:

If you want to create an Image of your System and restore it successfully use Foxclone ;) from here...
https://foxclone.com/ It's very easy to use and comes with easy to follow instructions, download the ISO and burn it to a Flash Drive. :)

I would agree Sam, very easy to use. Good instruction manual as well.

It does have the limitation of only backing up one drive at a time....if you have 2 drives to backup, just run foxclone twice. If you are backing both drives up to the same external drive, just establish a separate folder for each drive in the external.

I also use Macrium Free Rescue Media, the only problem with it...you need a Windoze computer to use the software and put it on a Flash Drive. I do this by downloading it to my Win 7 VM. :)

On my Tower I have three Drives...Drive one ..SSD Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1...Drive two SSD Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 and Drive three HDD Windoze 7 that hasn't been connected to the Net since 2015, but comes in handy in case I get Flash Drive or External HDD problems...I have an image of the Win 7 HDD too.

Of cause SSD one is the only Drive connected to the Motherboard, so creating an image is not a problem. I've found Foxclone faster than Macrium and now both verify the created image which is very important. :)

Members online