Issue with ACL's

luisam_95

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I have a problem. I've created a file called acluser1 in /tmp/ as a user1 and I've it set ACL permissions rwx to user100.
But when I try to modify the file /tmp/uacluser1 as user100 I got this message: "acluser1" E212: Can't open file for writing
Why, Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks.

Attachments

• aa.png
    aa.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 146
  • fdfdfdf.png
    fdfdfdf.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 125

Hi, I have a problem. I've created a file called acluser1 in /tmp/ as a user1 and I've it set ACL permissions rwx to user100.
But when I try to modify the file /tmp/uacluser1 as user100 I got this message: "acluser1" E212: Can't open file for writing
Why, Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks.
In order to be able to alter an existing file, you also need permission to update the directory it resides in. The permissions on /tmp are usually rxwrwxrwt, the t (sticky bit permission) will only allow the owner to modify a resident file.

Rather than applying an ACL or permissions to /tmp Perhaps create sub folder in /tmp with it's own ACL or permissions, then put the file inside the sub-folder.

In order to be able to alter an existing file, you also need permission to update the directory it resides in. The permissions on /tmp are usually rxwrwxrwt, the t (sticky bit permission) will only allow the owner to modify a resident file.

Rather than applying an ACL or permissions to /tmp Perhaps create sub folder in /tmp with it's own ACL or permissions, then put the file inside the sub-folder.
I did what you told me but it didn't work. I created another particular folder '/users' and put the files in there. I set the permissions, ACL's to those files and it worked. The /tmp sticky bit did not allow me to modify the files.
Thank you.

I did what you told me but it didn't work. I created another particular folder '/users' and put the files in there. I set the permissions, ACL's to those files and it worked. The /tmp sticky bit did not allow me to modify the files.
Thank you.
Thanks for the follow up, now I've learnt something too.

luisam_95 wrote:
The user with UID 100 on my system is:
Code:
[flip@flop /etc]$ grep 100 passwd
systemd-timesync:x:100:102:systemd Time Synchronization,,,:/run/systemd:/bin/false
<snip>
which looks like its "shell" is /bin/false, which won't be able to do much. The man page for "false" says"
false - do nothing, unsuccessfully
which sounds like what you've experienced in part.

luisam_95 wrote:

The user with UID 100 on my system is:
Code:
[flip@flop /etc]$ grep 100 passwd
systemd-timesync:x:100:102:systemd Time Synchronization,,,:/run/systemd:/bin/false
<snip>
which looks like its "shell" is /bin/false, which won't be able to do much. The man page for "false" says"

which sounds like what you've experienced in part.
If I read the post correctly, it was a username of user100, not UID 100. So the UID is not likely an issue.

It's because the of the sticky t bit on the /tmp directory, that causes any file in that directory to only be allowed to be edited by it's owner(and root). Create a directory where that user has write permissions and place the file acluser1 file there you should be able to edit it by the user that has acl write permissions.
So create a new directory without the the t bit, so for example create a directory /tmp/testdir1 where user1 is the owner and then place the acluser1 file in that directory.

Last edited:
As f33dm3bits mentioned in post #9, the sticky bit allows only owners of files to change them. The suggestion of removing the sticky bit from /tmp however, is unwise given that a number of system processes use /tmp and expect the sticky bit to be set to protect them from other users.

Last edited:
The suggestion of removing the sticky bit from /tmp however, is unwise given that a number of system processes use /tmp and expect the sticky bit to be set.
Agree, I edited my original post I was still waking up so wasn't thinking about my first suggestion.

Yes, you are likely to be quite correct and I think I misinterpreted the text.
If it helps, I thought the same exact thing at first. Then I re-read the post and decided not to answer.

Members online