Issue accessing files on mounted disk

Mikerv

Reaction score
Credits
Good evening all,

I am new to Centos, but learning as I go, I an running Centos 7.0, I have added two 2 TB drives, which came out of a WD NAS, the NAS unit failed and so I was left with the drives which are working no issue, the only issue I am having is that on the data partition /dev/sdc4, I am able to mount both drives, how ever when I try accessing the one folder which is Public on the drive I get the following error, This Location could not be displayed.
Sorry could not display the contents of "public". Error when getting information for file '/run/media/mvickers/4439e898-374d-4f23-b7f6-2s9623080c28/Public/Untitled_Panarama1.psb': input/output error.

On the disks screen when I click on the drive the entire drive is /dev/md123 and the second drive is /dev/md125, now on this screen it shows the file system as XFS. if I try run an FSCK on the drive it just reports FSCK from util-linux 2.32.2 and nothing else, the fsck does not run

When I run xfs_repair -d /dev/md123, I receive the following response
Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
superblock read failed, offset 249635176448, size 131072, ag 4, rval -1

fatal error --input/output error

So any assistance with recovering this volume will be greatly accepted, I have all my photographs on this drive and I want to get them back.

Thank you all in advance

Mike Vickers

@Mikerv

Welcome, Mike, to linux.org, albeit under extenuating and trying circumstances, by the sounds of it?

We have a number of CentOS users here, including our Admin @Rob and using v7, so I hope for your sake the cavalry is to the rescue soon :D

I run about 70 Linux from 5 different Families, but so far have not held my mouth the right way to get CentOS installed, so I will watch and learn and wish you luck ... hope you do not need it. ;)

Wizard

Thank you, I also hope I don't need the luck, I hope one of the kind people on this site have seen this before and have worked a method to get around this with out format being the first option.... I am very hopeful this will be the case.. thank you for responding to me.

Mike

Thank you for that info, but in my case, I have a 500 gig system drive and then the two 2 TB drives of the data I need to recover, I am only working on the one which has all the photo's on it and so my issue comes after booting and then mounting the drive. Then I get my error...

Thanks again for all your information and your time you have given to sending me the information you have, I am still reading through a lot of it... but we will see what happens as I move forward..

Need to Sleep it is almost 1 am this side...

Mike

I'm not a RedHat/CentOS user, nor am I familiar with XFS. So about all I can do is Google around to see if I can spot anything that may be helpful that you will understand, even if I don't. :confused:

But, a question that popped into my mind is, "Were the two hard drives in a RAID configuration while in use in the NAS?" It seems that they likely would be... and if so, do you know what kind of RAID? It's just a wild guess that RAID could be a factor.

Atanere,

Yes they were in a raid pack, JBOD, (just a bunch of drives) so I am able to access the second drive with out issue, those files are fine and it is only the public folder on the first drive which is giving me the run around... the XFS only came up once I had loaded Centos 7.0, might also be an idea to load a different distro and try that as well, I am not rigid that it needs to be Centos that I use, I just thought it would be the one distro a large number of people would use as it is RedHat after all, but if I get the feeling that Centos is not the best distro to use to resolve my issue of retrieving the photo's then I am willing to change to a different distro to complete my task...

Thanks for your reply

Mike

Okay, yeah, JBOD should not be an issue. Are there other folders on this problem drive that you CAN access? The error from xfs_repair reporting that it failed to read the superblock makes me think the whole drive would be unreadable, not just the Public folder.

EDIT: Yes, it can't hurt at all to try another distro if it's not too much trouble. But if you still can't view or copy your files, I'd pause and not try to do too many tests on the drive itself while you consider your options. You may want to make an image of the drive (GNU ddrescue, or something like that) and then try to recover the photos from the image. It doesn't quite seem to be a drive failure situation, but if it is you don't want to beat it up too much.

There are a couple of other folders on the drive, I am able to access them, but they do not have any files in them so this is not a real test..

When I try access the public folder, I get an error on a PSD file which I created using up to 10 photographs so if it was lost that is not an issue, it is the rest of the photo's on the drive which I really want back..

Mike

Try reading this link through from top to bottom and see what you think. If you haven't downloaded another distro yet to test with, Debian might be a good choice. I tend to prefer the MATE or LXDE desktops, but pick any you like if you choose Debian.

Although that link above is pretty old, it still seems relevant to your problem. One brief mention in there was about PhotoRec, a program that may work to recover your photographs. I'm still not sure that you need to be in a "recovery mode" yet.... or if repairing the filesystem errors would be a better path to pursue. Just trying to tickle your brain a bit. :D

But as that link mentioned too... PhotoRec may recover the photos, but if it renames them or something, it could make them difficult for you to sort through.

Atanere,

Thank you for this option, I am downloading the current 9.2.1 of Debian and will build the install of that, I will then see what happens when I add the two drives into the build and hopefully I will be able to recover the files, I may have to purchase the Software to recover the photo's, but I am going to try debian and the testdisk /photorec first before purchasing the software...again thank you so much for all the ideas and encouragement and I will say watch this space for more updates and the resounding success in the recovery of the long lost sorry short lost photo's it will be revealed in the next installment or the one after that or after that...

The next chapter of fun has begun...

Mike

Whichever way you go, I hope that it works out well. I saw that commercial recovery program too, and it looks promising, but I know I would look at other options first. There are so many excellent FOSS options for just about everything... it is really nice that people give so much to the Linux community. :cool:

I'm looking forward to your next installment! :D:D

And, by the way... welcome to linux.org! :D

Cheers
Stan

Stan,

Thank you for the welcome, It is good to be part of Linux.org...

Mike

Afternoon all, most state-siders may be catching zzz's although I noted @atanere was around not long ago.

A little brainstorming:

DEBIAN

... may be a good option, given what Stan linked to.

I have v9.1 Cinnamon on board, perhaps similar enough to help if needed.

PHOTO-REC

Both TestDisk and PhotoRec are by one Frenchman Christophe Grenier. I have used TestDisk a number of times with success, so if PhotoRec is half as good it may do the trick.

When I was at another Forum for nearly 3 years, I had occasion to write an article on TestDisk and wanted to clarify a couple of points so I emailed Christophe. His email URL is a matter of public record but I won't put it here in case of spambots. Google "photorec christophe" and you'll get it.

In the course of the correspondence I asked Christophe if he, or one of his Staff, was interested in joining my (then) Forum. His response was

"I AM the staff", so I guess he was pretty busy.

CENTOS

If the OP still has this on board, and wants to try it, I may have a lead.

I guess an obvious question is does xfs_check require you to unmount the drive first?

But other than that, the outputs of

Code:
/proc/mdstat

and

mdadm --assemble

might be revealing.

The article I have found is here https://superuser.com/questions/384753/xfs-cant-read-the-superblock and note that the OP has some outputs in gray that require scrolling sideways.

Hope this helps.

Wizard

Morning Wizard,

Thank you for this information, I will read through it and then see what it all does to assist me.

Mike

Looking at what you have said the drives show up as, leads me to believe that these drives were part of a raid.

/dev/md123
/dev/md125

Can you run the following command and post the output?
Code:
mdadm --examine /dev/sd[bcdefghijklmn]1 >> raid.status
Adjust the above for your system.

Members online