Is this laptop deal worth it?

Confused_nerd

Reaction score
Credits
I'm looking to buy some old thinkpads, and have recieved an offer:
A lenovo thinkpad l420. It has these specifications. The specific one offered has 4GB RAM, and i5-2540M procesor, and 500GB HDD.

I only need for some lightweightwork like editing documents and emailing. (And testing some lightweight weight distros maybe?)
The price is 9000 INR, equivalent to about 120 USD. Should I buy it?

Last edited:

It should be enough for what the type of work you are going to be using it for but I myself find 4G RAM a bit on the low end for 2021 so if you can I would try to find something with 8G ram. Just my two cents, up to you have what you do with it ;)

It should be enough for what the type of work you are going to be using it for but I myself find 4G RAM a bit on the low end for 2021 so if you can I would try to find something with 8G ram. Just my two cents, up to you have what you do with it ;)
It's an old laptop but its upgradable to 8GB.
What I was asking was the price-product reasonability if you get what I mean. I am not very experienced in buying hardware you see.

It looks like a reasonable price. The battery is probably close to worthless, but that can be replaced.

It's an old laptop but its upgradable to 8GB.
What I was asking was the price-product reasonability if you get what I mean. I am not very experienced in buying hardware you see.
I'm not the best person to ask when it comes about price-product reasonably, I buy what I need. Last year I did buy a second hand Dell Latitutude E7450( i5-5300U, 16G ram, 128G ssd) for $350 dollars so it sounds reasonable/fair for what you are getting.

I'm not the best person to ask when it comes about price-product reasonably, I buy what I need. Last year I did buy a second hand Dell Latitutude E7450( i5-5300U, 16G ram, 128G ssd) for $350 dollars so it sounds reasonable/fair for what you are getting.
Okay. I guess I'm just going to buy it.

I'm looking to buy some old thinkpads, and have recieved an offer:
A lenovo thinkpad l420. It has these specifications. The specific one offered has 4GB RAM, and i5-2540M procesor, and 500GB HDD.

I only need for some lightweightwork like editing documents and emailing. (And testing some lightweight weight distros maybe?)
The price is 9000 INR, equivalent to about 120 USD. Should I buy it?

The price seems alright to me, but I've no idea. I get (almost) all my PC/laptops for free!

I am currently running almost the exact same specs but my processor is a pitiful Celeron dual core. I can comfortably run a browser, email, and a small OS in a VM and not really notice in Lubuntu.

Personally, I think any OS that'd struggle to perform the tasks you mention with those specs may as well get in the bin. Yes Windows10, I'm looking at you.

Lol.
Where almost free PC/laptops

I meant almost all free, rather than all almost free! I got two desktops off a guy who worked in a IT bit of a bank about 10 years ago, and made them last. More recently my mate gave me a load of old laptops (five!) that "didn't work", and all of them worked bar one. I have bought little netbook things, but I've not bought the PC/laptop I use on a daily basis (or the one I use for music) for over 10 years!

Often people who've gone "full Apple" will be useful sources of old laptops.

My suggestion is check and see the current prices on other used laptops with similar specs and then make your decision from that.

Buying online can be risky depending on the seller so check and see what the reviews of previous buyers say.

Personally I won't pay much for a laptop as from my experience the battery is usually shot or close to it and the key boards are somewhat flaky etc.

Laptops are designed and built with planned obsolescence and are disposablity in mind plain and simple.

Where I work there are shelves full of non working laptops that are three to five years old.

Dead battery's / worn out keyboards / broken power jacks / cracked displays / dead hard drives pick a problem or brand there's one on the shelf.

I'm not being cynical just realistic.

I meant almost all free, rather than all almost free! I got two desktops off a guy who worked in a IT bit of a bank about 10 years ago, and made them last. More recently my mate gave me a load of old laptops (five!) that "didn't work", and all of them worked bar one. I have bought little netbook things, but I've not bought the PC/laptop I use on a daily basis (or the one I use for music) for over 10 years!

Often people who've gone "full Apple" will be useful sources of old laptops.
I see, my bad.

I think it's okay to use for the reasonable price and the battery can be replaced too.

I think it's okay to use for the reasonable price and the battery can be replaced too.
Most laptops now days don't have a removable battery anymore.

A quick look (that went only as far as looking at the picture) seems to indicate that this one has an easily replaced battery. That's a bonus.

Members online