Is this a hardware or a software issue?

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
How are you all doing today?

I have a laptop given by the company i work for. It's a Lenovo Yoga with 1TB SSD, 11th generation i7, and 16GB RAM.
The moment i got my hands on it, i installed a Debian based Linux operating system, because awesome machines work with awesome software.

Here's the thing... the keyboard has a backlit keyboard. The moment i saw this i said to myself "It turns the LEDs on when the room is darker".
... but it doesn't really do that. The keyboard gets lit differently. Right now the keyboard is lit, sometimes when the laptop is idle and i walk by and i see the keyboard just get lit without me touching it and without me turning the light in the room off.

You are probably thinking that the light sensor integrated in the laptop is somewhat broken. It isn't. The sensor works properly since the brightness of the screen changes if i turn the automatic light detection on.

I have no idea where should i look to investigate the issue.
... I'm not really that good and this is why i need assistance from people that understand operating systems based on Linux, better.

Thanks,
- Anthony

You may have resolved this since the post is quite a few weeks old. Since I stumbled on it just having acquired a Lenovo Thinkpad I wondered if your Yoga has the same controls for the keyboard lighting. My Lenovo controls the keyboard light by holding down the Fn key, bottom left on the keyboard, and then pressing the space bar, each press of which increases the light intensity until it returns to it's initial state.

My thinkpad does the same as NorthWest's. Fn + space bar. But I think what he is talking about is the Thinkpad Yoga which has a sensor that is supposed to turn the back lighting on automatically if the room is dark. I supect it may be a driver issue in Linux though he did not say which Distro he was using just debain based. Could be any of a number of Distros.

You may have resolved this since the post is quite a few weeks old. Since I stumbled on it just having acquired a Lenovo Thinkpad I wondered if your Yoga has the same controls for the keyboard lighting. My Lenovo controls the keyboard light by holding down the Fn key, bottom left on the keyboard, and then pressing the space bar, each press of which increases the light intensity until it returns to it's initial state.
I don't think it matters that much, that the post is old. New information is always welcome. Somebody might read this in 2030.
The Lenovo Yoga is not with me anymore, i changed the machine.

Thank you.
I wish you a happy new year and all the best,
- Anthony

Members online