Is there a standard 'Linux' on it's own? (without 'Distro')?

T

Tom

Sorry I'm new to Linux. Where can I get just the bare basic 'Linux' on it's own (without the fancy distro flavours)?

Is there a runnable/installable Linux and source code anywhere, or do I have to use other peoples distros? (I'm assuming there must be a bare basic Linux somewhere as how else would they have made the distros?)

I'm assuming the bare basic Linux would simply be a very basic command line with no software on it. But that's all I really need.

Linux is commonly mistaken for a whole distribution--although a very widely accepted mistake. Linux is actually the kernel. you can get the source via http://kernel.org/ and you can't really get any more `bare-bone basic linux' than that. Everything else you see on a distro, is software for linux. If the kernel is not what you're looking for, I'm afraid you asked your question the wrong way.

You could try Arch Linux or Gentoo. Both will give you a command prompt that you will need to build on to get an actual usable operating system. But, at least you will have a command prompt.

If you want barebones in order to learn 'linux', you could try linux from scratch, or slackware which is very close to 'original' linux, or the way linux 'should' be....

If you want barebones in order to learn 'linux', you could try linux from scratch, or slackware which is very close to 'original' linux, or the way linux 'should' be....

I would highly suggest NOT doing LFS to "learn Linux". If you want to learn Linux, then go with Gentoo or Arch Linux for the most barebones. Slackware has a tendency to have an elitist community, and is also not the easiest.

LFS is more for those who want to make their own kernel, figure out what x and y work and don't work, etc... It's a nice project, but very time consuming and also not the beginner who's just looking to get their feet wet. There is a lot of understanding of what happens (i.e.: kernel modules vs. compiled features) that you should be aware of. While the LFS documents go into some detail (enough to get by), chances are quite high that you'll become exasperated sooner rather than later.

He asked,
<i>Is there a runnable/installable Linux and source code anywhere, or do I have to use other peoples distros? (I'm assuming there must be a bare basic Linux somewhere as how else would they have made the distros?)</i>

If he is looking for source code and 'bare basic linux', i think Linux from scratch is a great way to LEARN. It walks you through the installation and management of 'source code' and teaches you linux.

If he wanted a distro, i would have said Ubuntu. He didn't want a distro. I stand by linux from scratch as a GREAT way to LEARN linux, source code and all.

I'm a bit confused. When you say 'Linux from scratch' do you mean the Kernel?

I checked out the site for the Kernel. I found the source code, but theres no installation disc anywhere.

it's at

http://linuxfromscratch.org

if you really want to learn about linux... but yes it will be a bit of a struggle probably. But I learned a lot from using it. It will TEACH you, whereas something like Ubuntu linux will let you USE linux easily.
Great way to learn, but if you get frustrated, try Ubuntu or (never used it) Mint linux, which i hear makes things dead simple.
Good luck and don't get frustrated, learn and enjoy.

I'm a bit confused. When you say 'Linux from scratch' do you mean the Kernel?

I checked out the site for the Kernel. I found the source code, but theres no installation disc anywhere.
No, Linux From Scratch is a project to teach you how to compile the kernel and get it bootable.

The reason why you find no installation disc is because that's all you get when you get the kernel, is the kernel. It's up to you to create the installation. LFS was created to simplify this process by explaining what needs to be done.

But I learned a lot from using it. It will TEACH you, whereas something like Ubuntu linux will let you USE linux easily.
Great way to learn, but if you get frustrated, try Ubuntu or (never used it) Mint linux, which i hear makes things dead simple.
Two things with this:

1) You (and everyone who's posted in this thread, really) has neglected to be informed on the user's Linux level. Essentially you're trying to tell someone who hasn't even been in water before to swim the Atlantic Ocean. At least, that's the understanding one should create when no information has been given.

2) You really can't compare Ubuntu to other distros like Arch Linux, Gentoo and Slackware. Ubuntu was designed for those who don't care about the Linux they use, and just want something flashy and free. Other mentioned distros get you on your knees and hands, and get you really working in the grime to make you understand what's going on. You have to edit config files and such, BUT (in about 90% of cases) don't have to compile your own kernel.

If you've used Linux before, have a firm understanding of how to compile code, and have the time, then make your own distro. However, if you're just looking for barebones, go with Arch Linux. Gentoo is great if you're looking for a mixture of Arch and LFS because you still have to compile your own kernel, you just don't have to make everything else happen too.

I was working off his saying things like:

I'm assuming the bare basic Linux would simply be a very basic command line with no software on it. But that's all I really need.

I started off with MacMillan Red Hat (5.2) I think, then went with pure red hat 6.0. Then i started messing with debian and linux from scratch... i did this because i was curious and wanted to learn.
If you try linux from scratch, you WILL learn, and you will have a basic command line with only the software that you install (which is all he really needs, so says he, so say we all!).

If he is curious, even as a beginner, he will learn by messing with EVERYTHING. It sounds like he is curious and wants to learn.

I'm just passing on information that i thought he may be interested in. I learned by editing config files just to get a basic gui up; I learned to kernel compile etc because i was curious and wanted to learn. I use ubuntu now because i have a family, job, and no time.

He sounds curious, so i don't want to stifle that. Tom, learn what and how you want. Try linux from scratch, but don't let it get you down: if you become frustrated, try arch, try gentoo, try debian, try and learn, learn and try!
Learning feeds the brain! Good luck and enjoy! :)

Staff online

Members online