Is there a Linux distro with out of the box support for Nvidia/Optimus laptops and Wine ? ( repeat, out of the box .... )

CelDePeScaunHDS

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, as in the title my question is. My laptop is an Asus K56CB , i3 3337U , 8GB DDR3, with dedicated GeForce GT740M ( + Intel HD Graphics 4000) and Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 WIFI adapter. The story goes like that: installed one by one on my HDD, not on VM: 1- Ubuntu 22.04 LTS , tried to install proprietary NVidia driver=system crashed ..., MXLinux 21 / KDE version -No1 on DistroWatch.... nice distro, even have an entry in the menu : "install Nvida Drivers", ok installed , no system crash, even can open NVidia Control Panel, but with info to change Xserver config file, run nvidia-xconfig, output can not find .... config file in /etc/X11 ? ( if remember good ). Then, OpenSuse , net install iso , :) useless because the iso seems not to have the driver for my WiFi adapter :)), it was saying that need proprietary driver, ok, pure open source , but how other distros have integrated this particular driver ?!. Followed by PCLinuxOS/KDE ( by the way , running very nice on my laptop - at idle with no apps opened - some 350 MB RAM usage ?! - according to KSysGuard - well not bad at all ), .... , nice OS but again not succeeded in my quest. Next was Fedora 37 .... same story ... can not make NVdriver + Wine combo , working.... Sparky Linux, PopOS, Mint, EndeavourOS, Garuda, KUbuntu, Q4OS ... not lucky.... some of these distros even not started when booted fm usb ( ok maybe errors when written/read the usb, made with ventoy ... ).

Thanks for reading my post. In the end for those who search something like me, take a look at Regata OS. Have an entry in the start menu where is asking which app you like to run with integrated or dedicated video card . And also out of the box Wine ... Then due to KDE, you can timer your OS to shut down after a desired period - for example when you fall asleep with your laptop on your stomach, watching some movie :)) , almost into 2023 and even Windows 11 can not do that ( ok, hybernate , sleep , but not shut down ). Funny that RegataOS it is based on OpenSuse, which can not installed on my laptop, no WiFi driver for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 adapter .... Some software developers forgot basic people needs ...

Thank you. Already downloaded. Will try. But can not remark , so many options around :) , for some , what in my opinion is , simple needs for simple people. No wonder, that many of them , newbies like me, will choose the easiest solution : reinstall Windows ....

Hello New Member and a big welcome to you...

I rarely use my best Dell i7 laptop with ZorinOS as everything works out of the box - so for me it can be quite boring. Nothing to do, nothing to tweak - very professional looking - no garish colours - excellent layout.
Professional paid for version also available with support - speaks volumes ;)

This link may be of interest to you and other members...
:cool:
Good Luck and Season's Greetings - Ziggi

Hi everyone, and thanks for your replies. Enjoy the holiday season .

Attachments

• MaxQ Regata.png
    MaxQ Regata.png
    116 KB · Views: 432
  • Tests 2.png
    Tests 2.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 440
Zorin will eventually cost you. Feren is free.

Members online