Is there a Distribution that can emulate XP and connect online? Thank you for your attention.

spamsville

Reaction score
Credits
I'm hoping for good news but not expecting it. Having an operating systems where I install, run and use all my old programs would be a joy. But as XP no longer has the ability to communicate effectively online, it would be of great benefit if a Distribution could do such a thing.

Thank you again for your attention.

I'd look at Linux Mint XFCE edition.. As for using your old programs unless there are Linux versions or they work under wine then you may need to look for alternatives. Depending on what they are there are great alternatives available.

Another possibility that is open source not linux. ReactOS:
https://reactos.org/ - It is work in progress I have no experience of it. But hey give it a try....

Last edited:
... and Windows is not Linux :D

G'day spamsville, and Welcome to linux.org

I can see that the throng above have you given you the bad new, in spades !

The only way that microsoft programs (.exe's) can be run on a linux system is to use an app called Wine. Its success at doing so is not guaranteed at all.

Perhaps you could tell us what ""all my old programs"" actually are ?

Give us a list please

I'd look at Linux Mint XFCE edition.. As for using your old programs unless there are Linux versions or they work under wine then you may need to look for alternatives. Depending on what they are there are great alternatives available.

Another possibility that is open source not linux. ReactOS:
https://reactos.org/ - It is work in progress I have no experience of it. But hey give it a try....
Thank you darry1966, the 4 top linux os for XP, is a great link. Shoot, I was really looking forward to possibly using those programs again. My bad for expecting good news. I shall keep trying as and when.

Many thanks again.

I meant being able to load and wire up all those programs and plugins that interconnected would be a joy. If XP had redeeming qualities, one of them could be this, that, for the average person XP had myriads of shareware and other freely available software. But this is not about linux Vs XP, not here right now with me representing XP. I should like to listen in. Perhaps one day we shall.

Right now thoughts turn to Natural Law and we are all brothers and sisters, many don't yet know why. But sadly we have, dotted among us, little brothers and little sisters. We know them by the way they demand attention and have nothing worthwhile to give. I'm on a free speech social media platform and I am working on an upload giving my take on the state of play, the objectives and the means by which such ideas can be achieved.

Wine sounds intriguing and cou

The only way that microsoft programs (.exe's) can be run on a linux system is to use an app called Wine. Its success at doing so is not guaranteed at all.

Give us a list please
ew

Give us a list please
Wine sounds intriguing, I'll check it out and have a think. Thanks for giving me the heads up that it could be a bit dicey.

List of old programs, (here comes some spam, wait for it)
Acid 8, which communicated with FruityLoops 11.
The plugins which worked in these two programs were vast and interconnecting.

Had a thought, maybe I could buy my new machine and load XP. Okay I may not be able to connect with the internet but I could find a way to upload. Thanks again for your responses.

Why not just start here.

Once you become familar with what Linux is and how Linux works than you can try different Linux distros.

You know you could dualboot and have the best of both worlds. Still run your XP stuff. Have the benefit of a newer operating system when you need to access the internet.
I dual boot Windows XP with Linux on two separate hard drives.
One hard drive for Windows XP and one hard drive for Linux.

Just connect one hard drive at a time and install one OS on it and then disconnect it and then connect the other hard drive and install the other OS.

When finished then reconnect both hard drives.

You should then have the choice to boot into whichever OS you want or you can go into the bios and set which hard drive to boot first.

At least I've always been able to do that however I use computers which are non UEFI / EFI bios.

Just a thought.

Well .............. o_O

That's not a fact it will happen, just someone's thoughts on what could maybe happen in the future ;)

Last edited:
Just a very quick glance at alternative to .....shows me that programs/apps such as Reaper and LMMS provide a good alternative to acid 8

Peruse the alternative to site....concentrating on the various apps ability to run on Linux ....combine that with @Nelson Muntz 's idea above and you could be on a winner. Best of both worlds perhaps ?

The number of programs/apps that are available to the Linux users of this world stretches to a figure which is beyond the imagination....it is vast.

Just as an example of the availability, I typed LMMS into the Software manager on my Linux Mint 20, and lo & behold it is there....Linux Multimedia & Music Production Studio/Application. It carries a rating of 5 starts which means it borders on perfection.

Just a few thoughts for you.

Here's another....Move on from xp.

Yes, well XP is way beyond old, and unless you pay MS for support, it is no longer supported. That puts you at a huge risk if you are on the internet.

The thing with Linux is this, it is not Windows and without using either a virtual machine or some at times unstable emulators, Windows programs will not run natively in Linux.

Linux is a very good operating system, it is used widely to run the internet and on many business and government systems. Linux is also a very friendly personal OS. I got rid of Windows on my personal PC and personal laptop a long time ago. But, I can create a document in Linux on Libreoffice and it will open on someone's Windows machine in MS Office. I can surf the internet as much as I want in Linux on Firefox, or Chrome, or several other browsers. My Kubuntu Linux has a really nice desktop GUI and works as well as anyone's Windows machine.

I'm not going to tell you to dump Windows, but if you decide to do that, you will find a lot of help here to get started in Linux and to find programs that do the things you did on Windows XP.