Is The Community on This Forum Relatively Laid Back?

D

Deleted member 111282

Disclaimer: I do NOT hate mods in general, I just hate mods who heavily censor and give users a hard time over trivial issues on any forum. I have total respect for mods who have to consistently deal with users who are legitimately abusing the forum and causing problems with other users, because that's not fun, but it's part of their job. Also, the first paragraph isn't intended to be a rant.

I recently joined after a falling out with the mods on the official Mint forum, and I'd like to know how this forum is compared to that one. While I'm a rough-around-the-edges kind of person (because I'm a rebel, and have High-Functioning Autism (and no, I'm not blaming my disability for my behavior)), they didn't kick me off. Instead, I quit using their forum because I got fed up with them acting somewhat like the Ministry of Truth. Thankfully, I got the help from other users when I needed it, but then there were times where the mods kept censoring me or a number my posts because I flaunted some frivolous rule they came up (one of the mods admitted what was said in them wasn't bad per se). I'll admit I chose to use their forum despite the issues I had, but that doesn't mean that the mods should make everything said on there as politically-correct as possible. I should also mention that I'm known for my sarcastic sense of humor, and mentioning uncomfortable truths when the situation calls for it, but that doesn't mean I'm intentionally trying to be offensive to people, especially if the person is thin-skinned. While I occasionally slip up, I do try to abide by the mantra of "its not so much what you say, its how you say it".

While no one should be causing legitimate problems on here (whether intentional or not), hopefully the mods are laid back enough to let users freely speak their minds while having to intervene only when necessary. To any mods reading this, I'm interested in your experiences on this forum, and learning more about you so we can have an appropriate relationship. To any users reading this, tell me about your experiences while abiding by the mantra mentioned above (I don't want you to say accidentally something that could cause a problem and potentially get you kicked off of here).

Last edited by a moderator:

G'day Spongebob, Welcome to Linux.org

G'day Spongebob, Welcome to Linux.org

Patrick: What a surprise!
Spongebob: Hi!
Patrick: Mom, Dad, meet my neighbor, Spongebob!
Marty: Hello.
Janet: How do you do?

G'day from another Aussie. :)

Where Brian @Condobloke and I came from 3 years ago last April was like Stalag 13 without the humour of Klink, Schultz, Hogan et al

I was ultimately shown the door virtually while I was sleeping after nearly 3 years, 2,800 posts and making many friends, so the idea of being a Mod was anathema to me.

We came here and it was like a breath of fresh air. After a year and a bit of making a nuisance of myself, Rob offered me a Mod job, at the suggestion of a friend of mine. I thought about it for a day, took the job to help "the firm", and been making it up as I go along ever since. :)

I am moving this to our Off Topic subforum

https://linux.org/forums/off-topic.203/

as Getting Started is for support questions on how to choose or start with Linux.

It may interest you to know that I have 8 Mental Disorders but am high-functioning, they are listed here.

https://linux.org/threads/mental-well-being-and-coping-strategies.29492/post-95432

So hang onto your Sponge Bob hat, and we'll take a magic carpet ride to Off Topic.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Where Brian @Condobloke and I came from 3 years ago last April was like Stalag 13 without the humour of Klink, Schultz, Hogan et al

I was ultimately shown the door virtually while I was sleeping after nearly 3 years, 2,800 posts and making many friends, so the idea of being a Mod was anathema to me.

So just to clarify, you and Brian came from the Mint forum as well? I don't understand the reference to Stalag 13

Last edited by a moderator:
No, we came from a site that can get a little itchy on the trigger finger with regards to litigation, so I describe my feelings on it without naming it :)

We don't need any lawsuits.

Wizard

Amen to that !

...and I'd like to know how this forum is compared to that one

(I'll call you) Bob, you are the best judge of that, after spending a considerable amount of time here, I hope.

We are very much a community here, a family even, and like any family we have our occasional disagreements, but we usually solve them amicably.

I am certainly not alone in believing that the majority of the people who help and contribute here want people who ask questions to be better able to enjoy their Linux, and so there is a lot of sharing.

In addition, we have the Off Topic subforum here, where people can look for others with similar interests, or even just a bit of a rant or an airing of feelings on a matter.

We have a couple of music forums too, if you are so inclined.

Just be sure to read the pinned Thread on Terms of Use for this subforum, they were initially put in place by our erstwhile Administrator @Rob , and then revised by me a couple of months ago.

Enjoy Linux and enjoy our site, thousands do. :)

Wiz

(I'll call you) Bob, you are the best judge of that, after spending a considerable amount of time here, I hope.

We are very much a community here, a family even, and like any family we have our occasional disagreements, but we usually solve them amicably.

I am certainly not alone in believing that the majority of the people who help and contribute here want people who ask questions to be better able to enjoy their Linux, and so there is a lot of sharing.

In addition, we have the Off Topic subforum here, where people can look for others with similar interests, or even just a bit of a rant or an airing of feelings on a matter.

We have a couple of music forums too, if you are so inclined.

Just be sure to read the pinned Thread on Terms of Use for this subforum, they were initially put in place by our erstwhile Administrator @Rob , and then revised by me a couple of months ago.

Enjoy Linux and enjoy our site, thousands do. :)

Wiz

Thanks for getting back to me and explaining that

Members online

Latest posts