Is Terramaster causing the failure of my hard drives?

kibasnowpaw

Reaction score
Credits
I have three hard drives that were installed in my Terramaster NAS server, which I primarily used for Plex. I removed one of them and tried using it in my PC, and after a week it didn't work anymore. Every time I attempted to copy data to or from the hard drive, the PC would freeze. After conducting several tests and installing Hard Disk Sentinel, I discovered that my hard drive had only 5% health remaining, with numerous failing sectors and corrupted data.
I tested all SATA ports, changed cables, and tried different power cables, but the issue persisted. I then tested the other two hard drives from the NAS, and they showed similar problems: the 16TB drive had 4% health, the 10TB drive had 5% health, and the 8TB drive had 26% health. Interestingly, some older hard drives in my PC still showed 100% health. This leads me to believe that the issue might be caused by the Terramaster NAS.
Has anyone else experienced this problem, or heard of something similar happening? I plan to contact Terramaster to discuss the issue, as it doesn't seem right that I've lost three hard drives from the NAS, while the ones in my PC are functioning fine.

asdwadwadeasd.png

What filesystem do the drives in your NAS use, so the ones that are starting to fail?

Based on my understanding, the two primary options for file systems are either Btrfs or EXT4. By default, Btrfs is typically recommended; however, you also have the option to use EXT4 if you prefer. not sure if i used EXT4.

Last edited:
I had btrfs on m media drives where I do a lot of downloading on, I ran into issues because of the COW functionality system freezing because of filesystem lockups. I think if you are also using btrfs on those drives and running into the same issues that it might effect the lifetime of those drives, as I came across a lot of other posts on Reddit that btrfs is not a good filesystem for download and vm storage pools because of COW.

I had btrfs on m media drives where I do a lot of downloading on, I ran into issues because of the COW functionality system freezing because of filesystem lockups. I think if you are also using btrfs on those drives and running into the same issues that it might effect the lifetime of those drives, as I came across a lot of other posts on Reddit that btrfs is not a good filesystem for download and vm storage pools because of COW.
It's possible that the issue could be related to the btrfs, but I must admit that I cannot recall the exact format I used, such as Btrfs. Fortunately, I don't need to rely on my NAS, as my motherboard can accommodate up to six HDDs. Additionally, I have two more motherboards, one with eight SATA ports and another with twelve, which I could use as a server if necessary. For now, I'm content using my PC for storage purposes.
Regarding my experience with Seagate customer support, I must say it has been frustrating. They directed me to use their live chat feature, which involved talking to bots that repeatedly crashed every 20 minutes or so. After interacting with four different bots within an hour, I decided to give up as it was a waste of my time. I did open a support case, but I'm uncertain if they will contact me since I have stopped trying to communicate via chat. I am also unwilling to make an international call to resolve the issue.
As a result, I am considering purchasing a different type of HDD. Although I genuinely appreciate the Ironwolf series, I might opt for Seagate's Exos HDDs as they are more affordable and, from what I understand, potentially better in performance. I am not a fan of Western Digital; otherwise, I would have considered getting a WD Gold Enterprise drive.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts