Is Samba the right way to go?

stratblue

Reaction score
Credits
Hi All.

Elementary OS Odin. Is Samba the way to share files from my Linux comp? Any other options or anything I should be aware of?

Thanks.

How you share files is dependent on who, what, and how you are expecting to share them.

For instance:
Share on a local network with Windows PCs, yes. Samba is a good way to do this if the Samba server won't be turned off or put in sleep mode.

Share with other Linux servers on a local network, no. NFS might be a better option if you do not expect the NFS server to be turned off / sleep mode.

Share files over the Internet. A cloud service might be a better way to share them.

Share files across a local network with many different types of machines. Samba might be okay. You could also setup an SFTP server.

It will be with a few Macs which do SMB. I'll give it a try.

It will be with a few Macs which do SMB. I'll give it a try.
Samba will work, but be aware. OSX (ie, Apple) likes to do things their own way and do not seem to care about the headaches they create for others. So, don't expect pull Samba + OSX to work without anomalous issues.

I have a team of artist at work who all use Mac. They are a most troublesome bunch when they need to access a Linux server's filesystem.

Get to know the "veto files" Samba directive to prevent OSX from creating files that create issues. Especially issues as it pertains to deleting files / directories. (ie, you cannot delete a file / directory if OSX is holding it open and it's a hidden file because OSX creates them and doesn't tell the user)

Among other SMB1/2/3 incompatibilities. Yeah, sounds like a lot of trouble and it is, but it does work.

Thanks for your input on that.

I'm following this guide:

Here

I have pasted this:

sudo vi /etc/samba/smb.conf

I'm getting the config file opening and I do have some minor familiarity with this having done it on the Mac for Apache but my keyboard doesn't type what I expect, I can type this post perfectly (obviously) but once I start trying to change yes to no or whatever in the conf file the keys I type seem to do weird things, different letters or functions, just minor changes seem impossible.

Oh, man... Don't try using vi for this - unless you're fluent with vi.

If possible, try nano. It may already be installed. If not, 'sudo apt install nano' and then change vi to nano in your command. It's much easier to edit and save a file in nano.

Try using vim instead of vi.

Members online