Is my build Linux-compatible?

M

MJsmooth

I plan to build my own P.C. and run Ubuntu with it. I've never done anything like this before, so I'm not sure if all of my components will be compatible with Ubuntu. My components are:
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 750K 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Mobo: Asus A55M-E Micro ATX FM2
RAM: Corsair 8GB DDR3-1333
Storage: Western Digital RE3 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6670 2GB
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Dg 24-bit 96 KHz
Wi-fi adapter: Linksys AE1200-NP 802.11/b/g/n USB 2.0
Optical Drive: Asus DRW 24-B1ST DVD/CD writer

Your wireless is likely to be a sticking spot. Do you know who makes the chipset? Look here http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Devices for more info.

Most things "look" ok, you might want to look at the alsa pages to see what sound cards are supported, and to what extent. Look here http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

You may want to check the Xorg pages for info about the video. You may not be able to drive it to full advantage. I think Intel has better linux support, ISTR Linus Torvalds very publicly giving AMD the finger over video card support, although I could be thinking of something else.

Presumably the Mobo has wired ethernet?

From searching around it looks like the wifi adapter is based on the BCM43235 chipset. If you haven't already bought this - don't. Search for an adapter with a non Broadcom chipset, preferably an Atheros, and make sure it's supported before buying.

ISTR Linus Torvalds very publicly giving AMD the finger over video card support, although I could be thinking of something else.

I think it was Nvidia (NSFW warning):
Although Linus has never been one to temper his feelings so I wouldn't be surprised if he had a similar reaction to AMD. I'm not sure if you plan for this to be a gaming rig, but you don't necessarily need a discrete graphics card for...really anything except high-end gaming, which may or may not be possible via Linux anyway.

I can also agree with lobo (*gasp* :) ). I have a broadcom wireless adapter in my netbook running Arch and has caused me more issues with kernel updates than any other piece of hardware.

Well, lots of devices require proprietary firmware, Realtek and Ralink do, too.

Well, lots of devices require proprietary firmware, Realtek and Ralink do, too.
The main difference is that broadcom firmware is not included in the kernel (due to licensing), whereas realtek, ralink, intel and atheros, etc is and many devices from these vendors don't need firmware at all.

Members online