Is Linux free?

Could you explain then why Linux us absolutely free? Just wondering.

And what is the best "flavor" of Linux, Ubuntu, Xubuntu or Mint?

Linux is free because the man who started it all is not a man who lived only to make money and more money. He's a man who believed that the best things in life can be free. This philosophy is what has kept Linux free and good all these years.

There is no best flavor. It's more a question of what you want to do with Linux. If you just want something to surf the net, then I suggest using Puppy Linux.

The distros you mentioned are variations of the same thing with different desktop environments. Some desktop environments have more features and, consequently, are also heavier, thus slower. Some desktop environments have just the barebone features, making them lighter and faster.

Could you explain then why Linux us absolutely free? Just wondering.

And what is the best "flavor" of Linux, Ubuntu, Xubuntu or Mint?

It's probably cause Linus Torvalds was kind enough to produce an OS that was to be Open Source as well as a Free software. The reason why different Linux Distro's are free cause all of them run in the same pool, majority have the same applications and features. It's just how one wants them to perform.

Its completely free. They even ship you a CD to install it, without fee, if I remember correctly at least.

While we're talking about Linux in general...How big is it, compared to the other Operating Systems but also compared to "value"?

Hehehehe to kick the Windows proverbial butt! Free and soon we should see the www competition rolling around. Hopefully, this should stop all the CISPA garbage.

Linux is completely free as another poster stated. It is possible that you will find some Linux distributions that offer "Premium" versions, that generally include more software or other features not offered in the free versions, but the price is nothing compared to mainstream operating systems. And the upgrade process afterwards is free once a donation is made. However, the most user-friendly and popular versions will not cost you a dime!

Oh and most people download and burn the Linux OS that they are interested in. However, it is possible to have some of the Linux distros shipped to your house and in this case, you may have to pay a small shipping & handling fee.

I'm actually really glad someone asked this question, because I didn't know either.
Thanks for answering.

The basic version of linux is free - which I find is the only version really needed - but within the last few releases (that I've seen/used) there have been a DVD version as well. I saw that the DVD version is free, or paid. I think it depends on if you want to burn the DVD yourself or have it mailed too you.

Thanks. I was wondering the same thing and many of you have answered the question in great detail. You guys/gals are awesome.

Linux as what other said is an open-source software which means it can be downloaded, redistributed and the like. There might be some that you need to buy since it is packed with packages or other softwares that is not included in free version of the OS itself. But over-all Linux is free.

I have used used linux OS for a few years now and I have been absolutely amazed by how this OS works. Its free ,and its probably the best OS ever made,much better than Windows OS !

Nearly all the Linux distributions in the world are free, meaning that they cost $0 to install and use on your computer.

Linux is free however I would suggest trying out their paid services. I'm new to Linux as well and using the free services I just can't see a point to it

I am not sure what you are implying. Many new users need a little help to get over their Windows brainwashing, but I don't think they should pay for it. There are way too many knowledgeable users who are more than happy to help with the small speed bump that is encountered during the transition.

please which of the linux os is the best......
what is linux server used for

It may seem like a stupid question, but for someone who is completely new to the concept of Linux, it isn't. So, please bear with me! Does Linux come with a fee, or is it completely free to use?
There are 1 or 2 distros that come with a fee but they're strictly business and/or server related. Such a distro is Red Hat Enterprise with 30 days free trial. Here's a link, if you're curious. ;)

Hi @Daniaski, and welcome. There are over 300 active Linux distributions... there is no "best" one. You might open a new thread in General Linux or Getting Started to ask questions and learn more about Linux in general.

This thread is over 7 years old and not related to Linux servers. Please open a new thread to ask any questions that you have. The General Server forum is probably a good place to start.

Cheers

If you are a Windows user and wanting to migrate to Linux here is a good place to start.

Linux Lite

Staff online

Members online