Is it possible use the Kernel like a operation system?

Nico

Reaction score
Credits
Good morning

I´m learning linux and i have a question, is it possible use the Kernel like a operation system? Only kernel, no interfaces graphics and softwares, burn a dvd with kernel like image and install on my computer?

Sorry guys, i don´t speaking english very well.

Thanks.

Is the Kernel not a software? I'm certain most of it was written using the C language. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Welcome @Nico and @AlienGod to the forums!

Yes, the kernel is software, but what would you expect from it if it were the only software to load? A kernel is the core of an operating system, but it needs applications or else it has no purpose.

It's purpose is to act as an interface between applications and hardware. This is why there are so many device drivers that are built into the kernel. This Wikipedia page describes a generic operating system kernel that explains it far better.

Linux has come to be called an "operating system" as if it were the complete thing, but it really isn't, even though it is a critical part. If you dig into the history (and read up on Richard Stallman) you find that early on the operating system was called "GNU/Linux" (and it is still called that by many). The early GNU Utilities were the first packages of tools (applications) that were joined with the Linux kernel to create a complete operating system... text utilities, shell utilities, and file utilities. These tools are still available today in all Linux distributions (as far as I know).... they are many of the commands you find in the terminal.

GNU has also pursued developing another kernel, called Hurd (so, "GNU/Hurd") but it is developing only very slowly, no doubt partly due to the huge popularity of the Linux kernel.

Likewise welcome, all :)

atanere is a bugger, I was going to mention the Stallman GNU/Linux stuff, but he has phrased it well.

Most of this is beyond my paygrade, but kernels come in three (3) basic types - microkernel, monolithic kernel and hybrid kernel.

Windows and OSX are Hybrid, Linux is monolithic. For The Viewers, there is a reasonably beginner-friendly explanation here

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/31632/what-is-the-linux-kernel-and-what-does-it-do/

... and yes, AlienGod, written in C.

Some speculate it should have been written in C++ which has been around since 1979, but was not standardised until 1998 and Linus Torvalds wrote Linux in 1991, so that may have had an influence.

Cheers

Wizard
Enjoy GNU/Linux, I do

Members online