My friend asked me this
And it would be super nice to have a quick answer
Regardless, I am a beginner in this domain
Knowing this, i would apreciate any help
And again so sorry if my question is stupid
But is HTML a programming language ?
Lately, we debated over this, but we can't really answer,
Each answer is acceptable

HTML is used for structural purposes on a web page, not functional ones. Programming languages have functional purposes. HTML, as a markup language doesn't really “do” anything in the sense that a programming language does. ... This is because HTML is not a programming language.
Funny username btw.

i think it does what is says on the tin - Hypertext Mark up language

web pages only having html are often referred to as "static pages" they can not do anything dynamically on the fly

No. HTML is a markup language. It is used only to denote the structure of text and objects on a page. It is a subset of the original SGML developed at IBM in the 60s (I think it was the 60s).

(I think it was the 60s).

Close. Very close.

SGML evolved from GML, which was from the 60s. GML was refined and worked on until it became standardized as SGML in 1986.

It's largely a distinction without difference, but SGML wasn't really SGML until 1986.

Again, it's largely a distinction without difference, but it was GML before it was SGML.

Hmm... I'll dig out a citation, just 'cause the history of this stuff shouldn't be forgotten.

In searching to cite, I bumped into this lovely gem of text:

These are some of the many nuggets that need to not be lost to history.

My first use of a computer was in the early seventies. I went to a ritzy private prep school, not because my parents were rich but because I was poorly behaved. It was that or military school. Thank you mom for saving me from military school.

Anyhow, we even had some time on a mainframe located at Dartmouth and I despised every minute of it. I didn't like computers. I didn't want to use them.

I didn't like computers. I didn't want to use them.
i'm sure there is some karma /metaphysics material in there ,for the fact you are now on a Linux forum talking Linux ..

well i did touch computers 1975 ; computing was part of an o.n.d course. To take the OND course was a legal excuse as an alternative to doing A level at the same sink school where i was the only single student to pass Biology O level. I must rant sometime in off topic section about it

Fortran IV is what i played with using punched cards - all i can remmeber was IBM 1132 maybe that was the printer

i'm sure there is some karma /metaphysics material in there ,for the fact you are now on a Linux forum talking Linux ..

well i did touch computers 1975 ; computing was part of an o.n.d course. To take the OND course was a legal excuse as an alternative to doing A level at the same sink school where i was the only single student to pass Biology O level. I must rant sometime in off topic section about it

Fortran IV is what i played with using punched cards - all i can remmeber was IBM 1132 maybe that was the printer

The IBM 1132 was actually derived from the IBM 132 which was devleoped in the 50's...... :cool:

Members online