Introductions have been deemed necessary.

B

brainard52

Hello Linux community. As you can see, my screen name is brainard52. I'm not so much a noob. I just have incomplete knowledge. I love to think of myself as a computer nerd/geek and I like to say that I strive to become a better nerd/geek every day. I'm an avid Pokenerd, and I love other such childish things as Megaman and Yu-Gi-Oh!. I play Magic the Gathering as well. I love my gadgets. I currently have just a laptop and an android phone (Xperia Play). I'm an Ubuntu user, just because I'm lazy and it's simple (and because I'm not an expert in anything that has to do with computers yet). I started with Slackware 10 or 11, I don't remember. I remember hearing somewhere that went something like, "If you want to learn Ubuntu, use Ubuntu. If you want to learn Linux, use Slackware." I think I learned the most in the shortest period of time while I was using Slackware. Anyway, I want to learn software development, particularly C++ or Java. I've tried, but I am never able to fin time for it, but it will come soon enough. And to end, I'll say that I hope to contribute to the community the best I can.

Sent from the R800x (CM9) that I wish were an Ubuntu Android.

Hey there brainard52, that's a pretty good introduction of yourself you have there! :p

Welcome to Linux Forum.

Talking about Ubuntu and Android, ubuntu can be installed on Few Mobile/Tablets with smaller screens. For my mobile Nokia N900 there's a whole thread about it's installation process and it's done with LXDE : http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66531

Hello Linux community. As you can see, my screen name is brainard52. I'm not so much a noob. I just have incomplete knowledge. I love to think of myself as a computer nerd/geek and I like to say that I strive to become a better nerd/geek every day. I'm an avid Pokenerd, and I love other such childish things as Megaman and Yu-Gi-Oh!. I play Magic the Gathering as well. I love my gadgets. I currently have just a laptop and an android phone (Xperia Play). I'm an Ubuntu user, just because I'm lazy and it's simple (and because I'm not an expert in anything that has to do with computers yet). I started with Slackware 10 or 11, I don't remember. I remember hearing somewhere that went something like, "If you want to learn Ubuntu, use Ubuntu. If you want to learn Linux, use Slackware." I think I learned the most in the shortest period of time while I was using Slackware. Anyway, I want to learn software development, particularly C++ or Java. I've tried, but I am never able to fin time for it, but it will come soon enough. And to end, I'll say that I hope to contribute to the community the best I can.

Sent from the R800x (CM9) that I wish were an Ubuntu Android.

Hey brainard52! No one ever has complete knowledge about Linux, so welcome aboard! I'm not a big fan of Pokemon and such (though I do play MtG with my fiance), but my fiance loves Yugioh. If you're looking for some Pokemon cards I can send you a list of what she's currently selling and see if you're interested?

As for the learn x use x statement, I hate those. Its from elitist who don't acknowledge that Linux is moving more mainstream (or they hate the fact its happening). Ubuntu is no less Linux than Slackware is, Slackware just has a rep for being a really low-level install (i.e.: Gentoo).

I know a lot of languages (Assembly, C/++ & PHP mostly, but a collection of others too), so if you have any questions feel free to post on here.

Hey brainard52! No one ever has complete knowledge about Linux, so welcome aboard! I'm not a big fan of Pokemon and such (though I do play MtG with my fiance), but my fiance loves Yugioh. If you're looking for some Pokemon cards I can send you a list of what she's currently selling and see if you're interested?

As for the learn x use x statement, I hate those. Its from elitist who don't acknowledge that Linux is moving more mainstream (or they hate the fact its happening). Ubuntu is no less Linux than Slackware is, Slackware just has a rep for being a really low-level install (i.e.: Gentoo).

I know a lot of languages (Assembly, C/++ & PHP mostly, but a collection of others too), so if you have any questions feel free to post on here.

Thanks for replying :D I will most definitely ask if I have any questions. Also, for the competitive pokemon, I play the videogames. Sixty buck investment every few years, and then just training. Pretty much self-sustaining. Anyway, I was just stating that Slackware was aimed at more advanced users than Ubuntu (thus Learn Linux = Slackware). I have tried BSD (freeBSD, I believe), but that just confused me. I think once I get a bit more knowledgable with how how things work I'll try again.

Nice to see you here, brainard52! I hope to see you around the community a lot :)

hello Brainard52! I have to say I disagree with linux being user friendly as I am a complete noob...but i hope to learn soon! lol. Im more of a mac person...but my poor little Dell doesn't get much attention as I hate windows so i figured id give linux a shot :) hope to see you around and welcome to the forum!!

Hello all! Troy Lawson here. Hope to get going here directly. Just resolving some HW issues with my new gaming rig. I started making my own computers since 1991, or thereabouts. So where is the coffee?
Troy Lawson

When I have issues with LINUX, any help is greatly appreciated, from the git go!!! ;-)

G'day Troy and welcome :)

The coffee beans are a bit old at this Thread - 8 years old.

Any time you want to post a Thread of your own, just hit the front page of any of our subforums and near top right is Post Thread

Getting Started forum will likely be your first port of call.

Enjoy

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hello Linux community. . . . I'm an Ubuntu user, just because I'm lazy and it's simple (and because I'm not an expert in anything that has to do with computers yet). I started with Slackware 10 or 11, I don't remember. I remember hearing somewhere that went something like, "If you want to learn Ubuntu, use Ubuntu. If you want to learn Linux, use Slackware." I think I learned the most in the shortest period of time while I was using Slackware. . . . And to end, I'll say that I hope to contribute to the community the best I can.

+1 Slackware
Welcome brainard52, guest of 2012!

Hello all! Troy Lawson here. Hope to get going here directly. Just resolving some HW issues with my new gaming rig. I started making my own computers since 1991, or thereabouts. So where is the coffee?
Troy Lawson

When I have issues with LINUX, any help is greatly appreciated, from the git go!!! ;-)
Welcome, @Troy Lawson

G'day Troy and welcome :)

The coffee beans are a bit old at this Thread - 8 years old.

Any time you want to post a Thread of your own, just hit the front page of any of our subforums and near top right is Post Thread

Getting Started forum will likely be your first port of call.

Enjoy

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
oops! I didn't look at the date, just assumed that it was new.:confused:

Eyesight's deteriorating, Paul :)

Naw, I didn't look:oops: I assumed that it was a new post.:p
In that case, not seeing points to a mind like mine! LOL!
As someone said, "Great minds think alike." Even more LOL!

Members online