• We did not send an email asking for donations - please read this post.

Introduction to Linux

MJ Heiden

Reaction score
Credits
Welcome Ashraf! There is LOTS of help at the link you gave, so I'm confused by what you mean. Those are text articles, not video, but they give a lot of information about the basic knowledge of Linux tasks and usage, especially from the command line. Of course, you will probably begin in a graphical environment, but it is still very useful to know the underlying basics.

Almost all "introduction to Linux" learning sites will introduce you to the command line. Maybe you are confused because you are not running a Linux distro yet and you can't follow the command examples? The best way to learn Linux is to download it and burn it to a DVD or USB, then boot it up and use it. You can also install Linux into a "virtual machine" using VirtualBox (free) in Windows. Or if you have a spare computer, go all out and install Linux directly on it.

There are MANY different versions of Linux, but many are very easy for new users... some examples are Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and Linux Lite. Try some out, and if you don't like them, try some others! You can search on Google or YouTube to find lots of Linux training videos, but everything kind of starts "in the middle" somewhere, so you need to use it a bit to start to get an understanding. If you really want to start "at the beginning".... you're back to using the command line! :D

If you have more specific questions, please open up a new thread in one of the forums, like General Linux or Getting Started. Folks here are glad to help. Good luck!

Nice welcome for the beginners, As you said there are lots of Linux versions are available freely so you can start with one of them.""Using command line is one of my fave.. and cool thing in my life CLI is an addiction for me"" , So do things cool and make automate with shell scripting it is an another amazing thing in terminal and different kind of shell's,All the very best.

Klavier

Reaction score
Credits
Hello community

I wanna know is Linux OS or not? On reddit i found topic that someone was explaining that GNU is OS and Linux is a Kernel. GNU with linux.

Is that right?

Brickwizard

Reaction score
Credits
I wanna know is Linux OS or not?
Welcome to the forums.
No its not,
You have the Linux kernel [the operating system] you have then got a distribution built on top of it, [this is your desktop and applications] which together make what most people call an operating system
GNU-Linux is the full and proper title for the Linux kernel, but everyone just calls it Linux
Linux Foss built distributions do not contain non-free [manufacturer supplied drivers] whereas most general distributions do
GNU is an extensive collection of free software, which can be used as an operating system or can be used in parts with other operating systems. The use of the completed GNU tools led to the family of operating systems popularly known as Linux. Most of GNU is licensed under the GNU Project's own General Public

Klavier

Reaction score
Credits
Welcome to the forums.
No its not,
You have the Linux kernel [the operating system] you have then got a distribution built on top of it, [this is your desktop and applications] which together make what most people call an operating system
GNU-Linux is the full and proper title for the Linux kernel, but everyone just calls it Linux
Linux Foss built distributions do not contain non-free [manufacturer supplied drivers] whereas most general distributions do
GNU is an extensive collection of free software, which can be used as an operating system or can be used in parts with other operating systems. The use of the completed GNU tools led to the family of operating systems popularly known as Linux. Most of GNU is licensed under the GNU Project's own General Public
Hello @Klavier,
Welcome to the forum. As @Brickwizard has done a good job of discribing it. I will only add this page which may be of help
thanks guys for your full kind responses.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
GNU-Linux is the full and proper title for the Linux kernel

Slight modification:

GNU/Linux is the full and proper title of the Linux kernel when mixed with the GNU tools.

As you said, Linux is the kernel. GNU provides many of the tools that make the kernel useful. They're two different things from two different entities. The GNU project was without a kernel when Linux was released. (It still doesn't have much in the way of a working kernel, see HURD for more info.)

So, the full and proper title of the Linux kernel is just "Linux". When it's mixed with GNU's tools (as it almost always is, I think there's like one or two distros that don't rely on GNU) is when it becomes GNU/Linux.

rajatkm93

Reaction score
Credits
I am starting my journey with Linux, do I also need knowledge of Unix as a prerequisite?

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
No...pick a distro....something straightforward which there is plenty of support for.......and go for it.

Learn by doing.

Linux Mint ticks those boxes.

Brickwizard

Reaction score
Credits
We all have our favourite distributions, some popular and some not so, but they are our choices, your best choice is just that yours, try a few different ones "Live" from a pen-drive, the best one for you is the one you like the look and feel of and that runs on your equipment the best.

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
I am starting my journey with Linux, do I also need knowledge of Unix as a prerequisite?
Not a prerequisite at all. Will be helpful on the command line to some extent but not needed. I recommend looking at this page it's helpful in learning Linux and choosing your first distro. Enjoy the Linux journey!

rajatkm93

Reaction score
Credits
Not a prerequisite at all. Will be helpful on the command line to some extent but not needed. I recommend looking at this page it's helpful in learning Linux and choosing your first distro. Enjoy the Linux journey!
Thank you for sharing the link, that's really helpful.

Qusai adam

Reaction score
Credits
Welcome to Linux.org's "Getting Started with Linux: Beginner Level Course". If you're new to Linux and want to find out how to use the fastest growing operating system today, all you have to do is follow these lessons and you'll be using Linux efficiently in no time.

Getting Started with Linux: Beginner Level Course is designed as a self-study course. One of the things that makes this course unique is that at any point during a course, you can add a note, or comment. This is done in the comments bar on the right hand side of the screen. These comments can be made public or private, and can take any form that you like. Feel free to use them to ask questions, answer other users questions, post code updates, or suggest different methodologies for solving problems.

Linux is a very popular operating system, and this course is followed by thousands of people each day. Due to this, there are a lot of people online who are also in the process of learning it. So please feel free to ask any questions that you have and someone in the Linux Community will probably answer you! Also, this whole site, including the courses are regularly moderated. If you don't get an answer to a question, we will do our best to answer it for you. In addition, please send us your suggestions for how we can improve the courses, any typos that you have noticed, or any errors that you have encountered.

If you're ready to start learning about Linux, you may start at our table of contents or you may want to jump right into lesson one What Is Linux?.
where is the start line

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

This is not a 5 minute read

It comprises many topics...one after the other....currently on page 8

If you find you do not need to read one....just move onto the next.

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Linux.org Hosting Donations
Consider making a donation