Introduction to Linux

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
quote Rob....""Linux is a very popular operating system,""

It includes a kernel. The kernel is the very heart of the operating system

Keep your reading simple for now. Learning about the kernel is a whole separate topic......and can safely be left until you have a better understanding of the OS itself.

The smart way to learn is to choose an OS (eg. Linux Mint) load it to a USB stick and make it bootable......change the boot order of your pc/laptop.....bot to the usb stick and USE linux mint. It does not matter if you "break" the Linux you are playing with becasue all you need do is to Reboot and select Linux mint from the altered boot order and simply keep going Using it.

This does not install Linux Mint on the hard drive....it runs in RAM

So it is perfectly safe

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
To be really Precise...Linux is a kernel

Gonzalo88

Reaction score
Credits
Welcome to Linux.org's "Getting Started with Linux: Beginner Level Course". If you're new to Linux and want to find out how to use the fastest growing operating system today, all you have to do is follow these lessons and you'll be using Linux efficiently in no time.

Getting Started with Linux: Beginner Level Course is designed as a self-study course. One of the things that makes this course unique is that at any point during a course, you can add a note, or comment. This is done in the comments bar on the right hand side of the screen. These comments can be made public or private, and can take any form that you like. Feel free to use them to ask questions, answer other users questions, post code updates, or suggest different methodologies for solving problems.

Linux is a very popular operating system, and this course is followed by thousands of people each day. Due to this, there are a lot of people online who are also in the process of learning it. So please feel free to ask any questions that you have and someone in the Linux Community will probably answer you! Also, this whole site, including the courses are regularly moderated. If you don't get an answer to a question, we will do our best to answer it for you. In addition, please send us your suggestions for how we can improve the courses, any typos that you have noticed, or any errors that you have encountered.

If you're ready to start learning about Linux, you may start at our table of contents or you may want to jump right into lesson one What Is Linux?.
Recently my windows 10 operating system ruined my hard drive and i lost the system. So I decided to install the Ubuntu distribution on a USB for my computer. The first impression that I have were very nice thing, it left me in love thanks to the elegance, speed and simplicity with which I interact with the Linux system. I mean, I just love Ubuntu-Linux.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
You'd be better off posting that sort of stuff over in the member introductions sub-forum, rather than tacking it on the end of a thread that's approaching a decade in age.

Aldo Uriah

Reaction score
Credits
Linux is a Unix-like, open-source, and community-developed operating system (OS) for computers, servers, mainframes, mobile devices, and embedded devices. It is supported on almost every major computer platform, including x86, ARM, and SPARC, making it one of the most widely supported operating systems

Last edited by a moderator:
$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!