Intel RST

Hary06

Reaction score
Credits
Can anyone give me information on whether there is a distribution that I could install without being bothered by Intel RST?

So far as I know, that number is zero. Linux doesn't support RST - or, perhaps I should say it the other way? RST doesn't support Linux.

That page mentions some 'if' scenarios - but so far I've never encountered an 'if' scenario where RST was recognized. That's with multiple distros and multiple tests.

Granted, it has been about six months since I last tested this. I can find no information that indicates things have really changed. You pretty much have to disable it if you want to use Linux. The linked article will tell you the changes you have to make on Windows if you're dual booting with said OS.

So far as I know, that number is zero. Linux doesn't support RST - or, perhaps I should say it the other way? RST doesn't support Linux.

That page mentions some 'if' scenarios - but so far I've never encountered an 'if' scenario where RST was recognized. That's with multiple distros and multiple tests.

Granted, it has been about six months since I last tested this. I can find no information that indicates things have really changed. You pretty much have to disable it if you want to use Linux. The linked article will tell you the changes you have to make on Windows if you're dual booting with said OS.
Thanks for the reply and your help, I will have to try to install the accompanying guide you sent me ( linked article ).

I am running 3 Intel RST Raid1's on a Dell Vostro 470 with Linux Mint 21 and although it is very crippled by lacking software it does work well. You just have to allow the Option-ROM to run from BIOS. CTRL+I gets you into the controls.
You don't get any advanced stuff like email notifications - or any notifications for that matter, but when you boot you can see the status & make changes. It will rebuild w/o intervention and continue through boot cycles like it's supposed to.
Been working for 4 months now & it does a successfull 4TB rebuild overnight. It seems WAY faster on Mint. 10TB took less than 2 days - that took over a week on z390 Windowz 10e64 !
Good Luck to those who venture.

Can anyone give me information on whether there is a distribution that I could install without being bothered by Intel RST?
I'm far from an expert. This is just my recent experience. I have a 2-3 year old Lenovo with Windows 10 and Optane which uses RST. I recently installed a spin of Fedora Workstation to dual boot. After having to disable Optane in the BIOS it installed just fine. The strange part is that the RST option in the BIOS refuses to be changed to ACHI. However both Windows and Fedora seem to be happy so far.

AFAIK and in my experience as long as you don't try to use the iRST functions like RAID or an Optane SSD it doesn't matter if it's set to ACHI. But I can highly recommend using at least the RAID1, I have a 4 & 10TB R1 array that work way better & much faster in LM21 than on Win. I would never go without it now - it was pretty easy to setup too.

Your BIOS may be sensing the HD metadata from a previous RAID set & not allowing a change which would totally destroy a RAID0 array's data. You may need to clean the superblock with iRST's 'clear metadata' or DISKPART in W10 to make that SATA setting change. I have done this hundreds of times on both OS's to recycle old "broken mirror backups."

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts