Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 performance issues in Linux Mint 17.1 all updates

A

Aryell

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 performance issues in Linux Mint 17.1 all updates x64
kernel version 3.13.0-37 generic
video card propriatary drivers 331.113
bios overclock to 4.00Ghz, everything stable, been like this for years.

I have a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 at 2.83 GHZ but over clocked at 4.00GHZ, in windows 7 it works fine. the games are running fine, but in Linux even with governor set to performance I'm showing 3400mhz. Is this the real actual frequency right now, or is that just a display limitation. How can I correctly set it to 4GHz and preferably in dynamic mode (ondemand) because my cross platform games run better on windows than on linux, so is there an explanation or solution to this. if I set userpace mode 4ghz on all cores will it stay at 4 and really work at 4ghz, or like I said, display limitation. I've also discovered that the range is between 2400mhz and 3400mhz on default. and in performance mode is just 3400mhz and using cpufreq-info. where can i set this frequencies correctly. And if you give me command line instructions I would probably make a script with them ... if the settings do not hold between restarts. Thank You.

Every 2,0s: grep "cpu MHz" /proc/cpuinfo Sun Apr 5 18:45:19 2015

cpu MHz : 3400.000

even in full load 100% on all cores it does not nudge from this frequency

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 performance issues in Linux Mint 17.1 all updates x64
kernel version 3.13.0-37 generic
video card propriatary drivers 331.113
bios overclock to 4.00Ghz, everything stable, been like this for years.

I have a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 at 2.83 GHZ but over clocked at 4.00GHZ, in windows 7 it works fine. the games are running fine, but in Linux even with governor set to performance I'm showing 3400mhz. Is this the real actual frequency right now, or is that just a display limitation. How can I correctly set it to 4GHz and preferably in dynamic mode (ondemand) because my cross platform games run better on windows than on linux, so is there an explanation or solution to this. if I set userpace mode 4ghz on all cores will it stay at 4 and really work at 4ghz, or like I said, display limitation. I've also discovered that the range is between 2400mhz and 3400mhz on default. and in performance mode is just 3400mhz and using cpufreq-info. where can i set this frequencies correctly. And if you give me command line instructions I would probably make a script with them ... if the settings do not hold between restarts. Thank You.

Every 2,0s: grep "cpu MHz" /proc/cpuinfo Sun Apr 5 18:45:19 2015

even in full load 100% on all cores it does not nudge from this frequency

You should install PerfGTK in Linux, and run it to do a Benchmark..... :3
Also, is the System running smoothly, or is there lag, like, say, when you have Firefox, Chrome and/or Chromium/another Browser open.....? :)

I've tested you i-nex and found that os is reporting 3400Mhz, just like win 7 I might add,
but the bios or IS reports the right frequency in i-nex is reporting the right amount. I've been told that i-nex is the equivalent of CPU-Z wich reports the correct overclocked amount. Now I've switched to Ubuntu 15.04 beta 2 because it offers the intel microcode for easy installation, the os is still reporting 3400mhz, but a friend told me this might be normal, so I;m not sure, seeing that linux throttles the frequency. Is there a cross-platform benchmark that I can compare results in Win 7 vs Linux (any kind of distro) ?

CPU Fibonacci in system profiler reports just under 2, 1.94-1,98

The BIOS may not be properly reporting the frequency to the OS. So it may be theoretically running at the 4 Ghz but according to the safe operating speeds of the Core 2 Quad you have it should max out at 3.4 Ghz. The base clock is 2.8 Ghz so 4 Ghz is kinda pushing it. The performance governor will keep the CPU at full speed while Ondemand (which is the default ) scales according to system load. This is done dynamically by the Kernel.

Ignoring that, Linux Mint also has the Intel Microcode package though you have to install it. All it will do is ensure the processor is using the latest instruction sets. Is the system really acting slow or are you basing the performance issues just on the reported speed? Any slugish performance is probably caused by the outdated graphics drivers. The latest Nvidia drivers are 346.59. There was a huge performance improvement from the 34x series compared to the 33x or 32x series.

Staff online

Members online