Installing Ubuntu w/ Nvidia GPU

Jeffrey Lapinski

Reaction score
Credits
Hello again...
It appears that the ghost of Nvidia refuses to leave me alone. I am preparing to sell my laptop with the Nvidia GPU and I told the prospective buyer that I will install Ubuntu for him. I am again running into the issues with what I think is the Nvidia card/drivers. I hear the GPU "spool up" and the system freezes as I am trying to change from the open - source to the Nvidia option.

Any suggestions?

G'day Doctor Lapinski :)

Save us running around - link us to the other Thread/s where you mentioned the gremlin affecting you.

You can also link to a Post if you click the #number at right and copy and paste the URL.

Is the Ubuntu fully installed?

Wiz

It installs, then pretty much freezes up instantly. It won't update, when I go into the software management tab to try and change it to NVIDIA from open - source it just "spools up" and freezes. Stand - by and I will drop a link.

And good day to you Wiz!

Ta, Mate

I have to run for my evening, will take a look tomorrow.

Meantime, here is a little reading, and the time of it was almost exactly how long ago I started experiencing problems between Nvidia and Nouveau.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2244102

Cheers

Wiz

Thank you and have a great evening! I am actually pondering simply removing the GPU and using the integrated GPU on the processor. I am trying to determine if this is a possibility.

As an update... my buyer was satisfied to have Manjaro installed on the laptop at the time of shipment, he said he'd re-install Ubuntu himself if he wanted in the future. The latest Manjaro releases all install and function well and seem to not negatively affect the NVIDIA GPU. So, my amateur conclusion is the 4.18, 4.19. and 4.20 kernel releases must handle the NVIDIA GPU better than earlier kernels? Since Ubuntu is shipped with 4.15. If anyone has better information on this I am very interested! The my first (and if I can help it LAST) experience with NVIDIA has been a nightmare!!

And now I’m back to my 15.6 inch vivobook S - freshly upgraded to 16 GB RAM & 500 GB SSD. However, I’m closely eyeing the Lenovo X1 Carbon!

I know this is the WRONG place to put this post but I am no longer able to start a new thread! Was there a change in the website? The option to start a new forum is no longer showing!

Nah, we just got tired of your rants, Jeffrey.

b_Zo_Rud6_-_Imgur.gif

Which Forum, and what subject title would you like, I'll look into it.

Wiz

I guess they decided that I could still rant!! :D

Lol, you must have held your mouth the right way.

Wiz

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts