VicenteMMOS

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, there!

Just yesterday, I installed Ubuntu MATE, and have spent the last 15 hours configuring my system. I'm having a lot of fun doing it, even though it's actually a bit difficult. Linux doesn't hand you all the information you need, but it's amazing how just a few quick searches can get you going, I'm having a great time trying to solve all these basic problems xD

Anyways, I have an SSD disk where Ubuntu is actually installed, and I have a regular 3.5" disk for only storage. The thing is I don't know how to properly configure it in my system. I followed this guide -> https://askubuntu.com/questions/125257/how-do-i-add-an-additional-hard-drive but it didn't work that well. I tried installing GParted, and tried also using the commands in the terminal, but when I try the command sudo vim /etc/fstab I get the erro 'sudo: vim: command not found'.

Up to this point, I see the driver in my 'file explorer' UI, but it looks like an external disk (meaning that the 'eject' button appears at the right-hand side of the driver icon), and I can't copy any files inside of it.

Would anyone please help me figure out how to solve this problem?

Thank you

OK, first is the drive even mounted? You can check that with mount.

To use GParted the drive needs to be unmounted.

Thanks, I already found the solution to this problem. It took me a while to understand that Linux file structure is more "straightforward" then Window's. I mean, all there was to it was to know that I needed a mounting point, and an ext4 formatting type on my hdd, then I could mount it and use it how I wanted to. Then I manually changed all my user folder paths to the hdd from the config file (don't even remember exactly which...), and that was it! GParted wasn't really necessary.

Glad you got this figured out.