Installing Software

DavePM

Reaction score
Credits
As of now I have been using the software manager to install applications on Mint and that seems to work great.

I have now downloaded an application into my Download folder and I assume I first need to extract it from the archive file. Once I have done this I am rather lost as to how I got about installing this software package as I thought I would also be able to brows to it from the software manager and just install it as I did the other applications.

Applications through the software manager are install through the sources listed on the system, if you downloaded a package somewhere it will not be listed in the software manager since it is unaware of where you downloaded it from. What's the name of the application you downloaded and what type of file is it, tar or deb or another format?

It is an invoicing software and the downloaded file looks like this

1683035858633.png

Once extracted into a folder it looks like this

1683035927593.png

I suppose being a longtime Windows user I am expecting to see a setup.exe but know Linux does not work like this but I am not sure how this works. First application I am trying to install after installing Linux two day back :D

Try to read what they say about installation in the file "README.md"...
Cheers,
Eddy

you should now have 2 folders Zip and another for the application, find the second file [do not open] right click and it will say install using XXXX [usually deb installer] select and enter

It is an invoicing software and the downloaded file looks like this
What's the name of the application or software that you downloaded?

You will probably have an easier time if you use the official supported way to install it, which is snap in this case.
But since you are on Mint it would mean you would have to enable snapd on Mint since it's default by default, otherwise you could see if "Invoicer" is installable via the software center on Mint.

I think Linux Mint uses Flatpak by default as alternative for installing packages that aren't in the default repos so you could also have a look at these.

I tried with the officefactoring and using the Software Manager after right clicking on that file and that seemed to install it. I also uninstalled it as it was just a test. I must admit uninstalling apps seems a lot better than Windows.

Looks like I have plenty to learn on Mint but that is to be expected as I started out way back with the first version of MS Dos so this is completely out of my comfort zone for now.

I am going to watch the video you posted later as I am sure that is going to give me some great incite as to how this all comes together.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help with this.

flatpak install flathub com.gitlab.adnan338.Invoicer

Will install it .

OP,

In 8 years of using Linux Mint Cinnamon I could never work out how to install tar.gz files or tarballs...that was until now.
t2008.gif

Tarballs are a real pain to install...on the other hand...Deb files are easy to install...so why not convert tarballs to .deb files...then it's a simple matter to click...Install Package.
m1212.gif

This video shows how to do this and it works...you will need to know how to use a Terminal.

Once your package is installed in Linux Mint from the instructions above it should be in All Applications...just double click to open...hope this helps.
m1213.gif

So I did a bit of searching on how to install Invoice Ninja and found this site https://snapcraft.io/invoiceninja. I assume that when looking for information on Mint I would always select the ubuntu options.

So doing this it tells me to run the following

Code:
sudo snap install invoiceninja

So when I run this command in that directory I just get this back.

Code:
sudo: snap: command not found

So is snap something else I need to install before I can do something like this?

That's because Snap is disabled by default on Linux Mint. Do you want to enable snap on your Linux Mint installation?

If you want to enable snap on Mint and I can explain to you how?

If you want to enable snap on Mint and I can explain to you how?
Maybe I should as it seems it might make installing applications a bit easier as a newbie.

Maybe I should as it seems it might make installing applications a bit easier as a newbie.
I did a search on snap and found the installation instruction on it here https://snapcraft.io/docs/installing-snap-on-linux-mint
I didn't open that link when you first posted it, I just checked it and it already tells you what to do. So all you have to basically do is the following steps:
1. Open a terminal through the menu
2. Paste the following: sudo mv /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.pref /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.disabled
3. Update your sources: sudo apt update
4. Install Snap: sudo apt install snapd
5. Install the program you are wanting to install: sudo snap install invoiceninja
I tried it installing it myself, it looks like you will need an account though for InvoiceNinja.

Well the snap installation seemed to work and I ran the

Code:
sudo snap install invoiceninja

and this did a lot of downloading and other stuff and came back to me saying "invoiceninja 5.0.114 from Invoice Ninja (invoiceninja) installed". However I cannot seem to find it on my system. I would have thought it would put itself into one of my menu options from the desktop.

Members online