Installing problems 64 bit AMD Ubuntu 16,04

shadowdan

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all, new to the site. Restoring an old Hp IQ770 initially had vista on it. I tried to install from disk ubuntu 14.04 32 bit hoping it would upgrade to version best suited via updater but alas though it run from the disk I inserted it would not load. I then tried an ISO of the above titled 64 bit and it has not completed install. It firstly asked me for a username and password on the command prompt but I read on the forums to put UBUNTU and just leave the password blank, a few lines later about programs included and no warranty and come to run a command with ubuntu@ubuntu: and don't know what it is asking for or what I need to do to complete the install. I was not offered on the installation disk I burned to try before I installed so just goin straight into the install. I have 2gb ram and a 1.9mhz prosessor dual core turian AMD Live chipset.

G'day Dan, and Welcome to linux.org

I have not installed ubuntu before, so what you are describing is a little bit foreign to me.......However....if you were to type exit in the 'command prompt' (i believe this is probably ubuntu's 'terminal'), that should close that......and also eject the disk.

Let us know if that has helped (or hindered !)

It looks like the touchpad does not work with ubuntu out of the box. It would take some research to figure out how to get the touchpad to work. I don't know if anyone has found the souution yet.
Source - https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090827220511AAKK1db

Compare and contrast with
Getting Ubuntu working well on an HP TouchSmart isn't hard, but it doesn't work out of the box.
Source - https://www.ebower.com/docs/ubuntu-touchsmart/index.html

According to the famous maxim, a camel is a horse designed by committee, and it's not hard to spot the hand of a committee in the design of the HP TouchSmart IQ770 PC. HP TouchSmart IQ770 PC The guts of the IQ770 are laptop components that have been shoehorned into a compact desktop unit that doesn't look much like a …
Source - https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/all/2007/07/13/review_hp_touchsmart_iq770/

Does the disk/USB work on a different computer?

If this is it

Ubuntu isn't going to work as there just ain't enough hardware there to run Ubuntu as it requires major hardware to run.

You might want to give Linux Mint Xfce a try and see how that works as it requires less hardware to run.

Here's another way to start.

I typed exit and it went to log out then went back to asking for ubuntu login. so caught in a cycle unless I can discover what it wants after i type in ubuntu and leave password blank.

I checked the specs for amd64 ubuntu 16.04 and it looks to be well within the parameter set.

I will try mint and if no job will try the recycle bin at the local tip...

Rebooted with disk taken out ?

I will try mint and if no job will try the recycle bin at the local tip...
No need to recycle... should be able to make it work. Don't try older versions of any Linux (or get newest LTS versions) unless you absolutely must, which isn't likely. Use 64-bit versions, not 32-bit. Try Linux Mint, the MATE Edition as it is a little easier with lower RAM. If that still seems too sluggish, try Peppermint OS (now at version 10). You should be okay with 2GB of RAM, but adding more will always make things better, if you can. Or there are still more Linux choices that can run with modest RAM.

You experience above almost sounds like you installed Ubuntu Server Edition. It does not have a graphical desktop and boots up to a command prompt only. Just a wild guess as to what may have gone wrong.

Cheers

The reason you keep booting into the command terminal asking for login and password is due to a very weak integrated graphics adapter Nvidia GeForce Go 7600 / Nvidia GeForce 6100 which just ain't got what it takes to run Ubuntu which requires a real graphics adapter / graphics card.

This is why I suggested Linux Mint 18.0 Xfce in my earlier post #4.

The Nvidia proprietary graphics driver is available to download in Linux Mint 18.0 Xfce and you will need it with your Nvidia GeForce Go 7600 / Nvidia GeForce 6100 integrated graphics adapter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, new to the site. Restoring an old Hp IQ770 initially had vista on it. I tried to install from disk ubuntu 14.04 32 bit hoping it would upgrade to version best suited via updater but alas though it run from the disk I inserted it would not load. I then tried an ISO of the above titled 64 bit and it has not completed install. It firstly asked me for a username and password on the command prompt but I read on the forums to put UBUNTU and just leave the password blank, a few lines later about programs included and no warranty and come to run a command with ubuntu@ubuntu: and don't know what it is asking for or what I need to do to complete the install. I was not offered on the installation disk I burned to try before I installed so just goin straight into the install. I have 2gb ram and a 1.9mhz prosessor dual core turian AMD Live chipset.
Linux will not install on windows partion. even if you erase hard drive some windows dos will be on hard drive. just change to new hard drive and it should install

Linux will not install on windows partion. even if you erase hard drive some windows dos will be on hard drive. just change to new hard drive and it should install
Hello mainframe 3330,

Welcome to the forum.

I amazed at how many old hard drives that have had Windows OSs on that I installed Linux onto without a problem.

Not quite sure I understand what you mean. o_O:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello mainframe 3330,

Welcome to the forum.

I amazed at how many old hard drives that have had Windows OSs on that I installed Linux onto without a problem.

Not quite sure I understand what you mean. o_O:confused:
yes I installed Linux on at least 3 old win os hard drives in 2003. 1 hard drive windows erased hard drive didn"t let Linux work on it

Members online