Installing Open Office

DeanSum

Reaction score
Credits
Not sure if I am suppose to post here. I downloaded "Open Office" and get "en-us" and "Apache Open Office 4.1.7_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz". What do I do next?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply!
I am new to all this. I am using 19.10. I don't know what Red hat, CentOS or Fedora is. I'm not sure of the download site. I just typed in "download Open Office" I don't know what you mean "untar the tar.gz, read the "ReadME" file". Kind of not much help am I.

G'day @DeanSum and welcome to linux.org :)

What Alexzee said (he just beat me) and - are you already using Libre Office?

It would need to be totally removed first.

This updated since reading your above -

I am using 19.10

Do I take it that that is Ubuntu 19.10? You need to be specifc, there are hundreds of Linux. :)

If so, you have the wrong package it won't work for you - the clue is "rpm" Redhat Package Management - should be "deb" for Debian-based, maybe.

I'll be out but I'll scout around.

Find your way to Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t) and enter

Code:
apt-cache-policy libreoffice

and let us know the outcome.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thanks for the reply!
I am new to all this. I am using 19.10. I don't know what Red hat, CentOS or Fedora is. I'm not sure of the download site. I just typed in "download Open Office" I don't know what you mean "untar the tar.gz, read the "ReadME" file". Kind of not much help am I.
You're Welcome-

If your running Ubuntu just go to your Software Center and search for Open Office and have the Software Center manager install it for you.

Libre Office is a nice alternative to Open Office.
I've been using Libre Office for the last say 8 years and it runs great.

Here's a link to show you all about Libre Office.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibreOffice

OH, and run that command for our moderator so we can see what apt returns.:)

just go to your Software Center and search for Open Office

It is not in 18.04's Software Centre, unless it has been added with one of the subsequent point releases - 18.10, 19.04, or Dean's 19.10.

Dean if this is the site you downloaded from

https://www.openoffice.org/download/

... the site reads what sort of Linux you are using and offers either rpm for Fedora &c or deb for Ubuntu, Debian &c - so you may have changed that by mistake.

Consider first what Alexzee has suggested with

Libre Office is a nice alternative to Open Office.
I've been using Libre Office for the last say 8 years and it runs great.

You will find it in Ubuntu if you go to Activities - Search - Libre Office (if it is there, you do not need to report back on that command I gave you).

Libre Office is the defacto standard for most Linux, but some use Open Office.

I began using Open Office with version 1.0 in May 2002, when MS Office was giving me the Tom Tits (rhymes with), and used it on Windows and later on LInux until 2014, at which time I embraced Libre Office. Libre Office was "forked" from Open Office just before Apache bought them around 2010-2011, so they are very similar, next to no learning curve.

See what you think, and if you choose to stick with Open Office, then first get the right download

Apache Open Office 4.1.7_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz

and then I'll give you two (2) articles to follow either of, and they include how to get rid of Libre Office first.

Cheers, Friday in Australia, so

Enjoy your Linux and

Avagudweegend

Wizard

I am new to all this. I am using 19.10. I don't know what Red hat, CentOS or Fedora is.
Uncertain of what version / distribution you are using.

Copy and paste this command in the terminal.

lsb_release -a

LibreOffice
is the default on most distros.

LibreOffice
works well from my experience.

I deleted "Libra Office". Then I ran the command "apt-cache-policy" It said "command not found"
apt-cache-policy libreofficeI deleted the file I had downloaded for Open Office. I went to "https://www.open office"
"Download Open Office" and chose "Linux 64-bit (x86-64) (DEB) download full"

This might not be related to this topic. I think I need to activate being an administrator. But if I go into "terminal" and type "sudo -i" and press "enter" it asks for my password. It will not allow me to type anything there. There is no curser, just a white bar.

This might not be related to this topic. I think I need to activate being an administrator. But if I go into "terminal" and type "sudo -i" and press "enter" it asks for my password. It will not allow me to type anything there. There is no curser, just a white bar.
In Linux Mint and I believe Ubuntu there will be NO indication when typing in your password. Just the blinking cursor bar. There used to be asterisks or dots but that was deemed a security "tell" (password length) and so now nothing indicates what is being typed in.

Try typing your password and then hit "enter" - it will either be correct and work - or it won't!

I did check to see if my password works by downloading something and it did work.

It is normal to not see the password when using the terminal in Linux.
Type in your password and hit Enter.

If you're not going to use the Software Center than you need to install a .Deb PKG.

Now that I am up and back running I think I will keep Libra. There are to many other things I need to learn first.

Thanks

Wise move.

Just an side since this is deal with Open Office.
Libre Office is a derivative of Open Office, so now I know why I felt at home with it.
Since I have used Open Office for neigh on ten years I notice that Open Office comes standard with more fonts than Libre office. It may not be all flashy and colourful as Libre it has at least one thing that Libre does not and that is the ability to space the lines of a paragraph besides the standard line spacing. Like I can be using double line spacing which I can further increase or decrease to get the desired effect I want.
Also to change the Characters in a word or group of words With Open Office it is in Format and in its drop down menu click on it and another smaller drop down menu appears from which you just select what you want do and that is it. Libre just takes a little bit more searching to find it.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts