Installing on Asus Zenbook Flip 15

hanser30

Reaction score
Credits
Hey guys, I just bought a UX564EI.303 from Asus, I am hoping that I can run Fedora 33 on the thing.

Had a lot of issues installing Ubuntu (Graphics Driver Issues) so I am running to fedora instead. Same issues on the fedora install not loading the drivers.

Would love to know if you guys could help me try something else.

Last edited:

We can't possibly be expected to know what "had a lot of issues" means - and your statements are confusing.

You say you bought it to run Fedora. Then you say you had issues installing Ubuntu - so you are "running to" Fedora.

What do you actually have installed on your new computer and what issues are you actually running into?

We can't possibly be expected to know what "had a lot of issues" means - and your statements are confusing.

You say you bought it to run Fedora. Then you say you had issues installing Ubuntu - so you are "running to" Fedora.

What do you actually have installed on your new computer and what issues are you actually running into?

I went ahead and updated the post, maybe I have to put things together for you so that you can read it a little better, I did mention that the issue is with the GRAPHICS DRIVER.

Let me know if you can read that clearly.

The issue is on the graphics driver loading when it boots. I am currently running windows and I will be checking the other chipset models just to cross-reference compatibility with the drivers and other distros.

I will be getting a new drive and a new distro loaded up to run some tests. will keep this updated if anything changes.

And yes I did try to update the drivers.

Last edited:
I will be posting the error messages soon when I get the image to run. I will be trying POP! os to see if that runs.

Had a lot of issues installing Ubuntu (Graphics Driver Issues)

I will be trying POP! os to see if that runs.
If you had driver problems with Ubuntu than you will probably have problems with POP OS as POP OS is Ubuntu base.

It would also help to post some system specs as the more input you give the better help can be given for a solution if one is available.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had driver problems with Ubuntu than you will probably have problems with POP OS as POP OS is Ubuntu base.

It would also help to post some system specs as the more input you give the better help can be given for a solution if one is available.

Here are the specs for the machine:

What I will try to do next is install the Nvidia Driver POP OS version and see what happens.

Socket 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 4 (max 4)
Number of threads 8 (max 8)
Manufacturer GenuineIntel
Name Intel Core i7 1165G7
Codename Tiger Lake-U
Specification 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 1449 FCBGA (0x7)
CPUID 6.C.1
Extended CPUID 6.8C
Core Stepping B1

Northbridge Intel Tiger Lake rev. 01
Southbridge Intel Tiger Lake-U/Y PCH rev. 20
Bus Specification PCI-Express 3.0 (8.0 GT/s)
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
Memory Type DDR4
Memory Size 16 GBytes
Channels Dual
Memory Frequency 798.6 MHz (1:12)
CAS# latency (CL) 22.0
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 22
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 22
Cycle Time (tRAS) 52
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 560
Command Rate (CR) 1T
Host Bridge 0x9A14

Display adapter 0
ID 0x1000000
Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti with Max-Q Design
Board Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Core family 0x167 (TU117-A)
Cores 1024
ROP Units 32
Memory size 4 GB
Memory type GDDR6
Memory bus width 128 bits
Memory vendor Micron
PCI device bus 88 (0x58), device 0 (0x0), function 0 (0x0)
Vendor ID 0x10DE (0x1043)
Model ID 0x1F95 (0x1E1F)
Revision ID 0xA1
Root device bus 0 (0x0), device 28 (0x1C), function 4 (0x4)
Driver version 27.21.14.5763
WDDM Model 2.7

Display adapter 1
ID 0x4000000
Name Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics
Board Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
PCI device bus 0 (0x0), device 2 (0x2), function 0 (0x0)
Vendor ID 0x8086 (0x1043)
Model ID 0x9A49 (0x1E1F)
Revision ID 0x1
Driver version 27.20.100.9030
WDDM Model 2.7

Had a lot of issues installing Ubuntu (Graphics Driver Issues) so I am running to fedora instead. Same issues on the fedora install not loading the drivers.

Fedora shouldn't be a problem at all.

Fedora shouldn't be a problem at all.

Yes, I found a couple of ways to install Ubuntu on the Zenbook docs, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AsusZenbook

I also found another post going through the installation process, I am assuming that since it is a similar platform to what they have worked on, the Flips should also be fine. I only have to do a couple of things to get it running.

If you have some links to installing fedora on Zenbooks please send them my way! Also, did you do it yourself?

I was able to install Ubuntu and will stay here for now, most of the stuff works except the OLED brightness control but I might be able to fix that by using a config from the Razer Blade 15 which also has an OLED panel.

Most of the stuff is working great and I also have to add the option to use the Cuda settings in my card.

Hello @hanser30
I am thinking of buying the same laptop and I want to use it primarily (or even exclusively) for Linux.
Since you say "most of the stuff is working", what isn't working?
Did you have success with graphics driver?
Is it possible to use only discreet or only integrated or both graphics card?

Thanks!

Hello @hanser30
I am thinking of buying the same laptop and I want to use it primarily (or even exclusively) for Linux.

Thanks!

Hey, the Graphics Driver Worked out really well. I just had ubuntu update the drivers by itself for everything else and I made sure that I installed the nvidia drivers manually.

I am using the budgie desktop and it works perfectly fine.

The Display controls work perfectly fine after the last automatic updates and everything is perfect. Might have to change some settings in the battery management software but other than that it's all good.

The last issue that I had was when closing the lid sometimes it does not go to sleep but I will check that out later. For now, everything is running great mainly trying to get the card to run pytorch.

Hello @hanser30

Thanks!

Yes you can change between the cards as well.

have you tried other distros like fedora?

Yes I did attempt to install fedora but did not do very well on the first try because of an issue with detecting the drive since it is an Intel Optane. This is what I assumed happened.

The other possibility is that I used the wrong iso and the GPU drivers failed to load since it will choose the Nvidia driver as the default.

What I did was use windows to resize the partition using the disk manager and then I basically installed Ubuntu. Here I would suggest to do the same since you have dual boot. That way you can use only one computer if something goes wrong.

there is a new amd-86 driver [64 bit Linux] for your graphics card released may 2021.. available from https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/drivers/

Bwiz

Thank you!

Yes I am installing the latest driver already but I have to add a script to change the brightness control on the device.

This is what I use for the brightness control, I remember adding something in the script a while ago that changed between display profiles but it was buggy as hell so I am adding a new script in the file directly,

Code:
xrandr --output eDP-1 --brightness .75

Members online

Latest posts