Installing OBS with Linux

PuzzlingAura24

Reaction score
Credits
when getting to the stage to install obs (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:eek:bsproject/obs-studio) i get the outcome 'no valid OpenPGP data found' anyone know how to solve this?

also- if it helps obs requires openGL of 3.3 and mine is 3.1

Last edited:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:obsproject/obs-studio

If you wrap it in code tags, it shouldn't show an emoticon.

Also, OP, we need to know things like which distro and version you're using.

We don't have telepathy. See also the 2nd link in my signature.

uhhhhhhhhhhh..i have no idea
im on chromebook, which (for me) is a Lenovo 300e, running chrome os version 92.0.4515.130-Linux Penguin?
thats about all i know

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-05 21.36.38.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-05 21.36.38.png
    166.7 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
Ignore my previous response.

What's that a picture from? That doesn't look like ChromeOS? It looks like a Debian/Ubuntu OS, or something like that.

So, I'm confused. Are you using Chrome (the operating system), or something else?

I downloaded it from the chromebook? It’s the one where if you go into settings it’s uhh Beta I think so that may also be a problem
why is linux so complicated?

Also, it looks like Debian - but I notice it's "arm"...

OBS Studio may not be packaged for arm64. Which may be why you got the initial error - as there's no key for it in that repository.

Linux isn't complicated - it's actually pretty easy. Doing it through a Chromebook is making it difficult.

Your Chromebook uses a CPU that's 'ARM64' - meaning it has a completely different instruction set than AMD64 (the CPU you'll find in most modern laptops).

There might be an OBS Studio .APK that runs natively on ChromeOS (as I understand, I've no experience with Chromebooks). That'd be the easiest route, though someone else may think of something different.

Is there a version of Linux that will work with my chrome book or is it just that bad, as obs doesn’t have an app or anything
edit: I mean a version that would let me run it

It certainly looks like it. What happens if you remove the repository you added and run:

Code:
sudo apt install obs-studio
?

It looks like there's an ARM64 bit version for Ubuntu...

So, it looks like it's out there. Remove the repo first and then try to install it - and if it's available it'll automatically try to resolve any dependencies.

Maybe someone using ARM64 can jump in - but we don't have many folks that do.

I give up, Arm systems require at least 10 other installations so I’m trying to find a Linux that will work with arm systems (not easy) which makes me want to say to people with chrome books, if you decide to get one make sure it uses an intel core as Arm systems are a pain to use

I believe that Ubuntu has an ARM64 (Raspberry Pi) version available since 20.04. That's probably going to be the easiest route, though it'd be building up from a server install.

Hmm...

This link tells me there's a bunch of distros that have ARM versions. I have no experience with it but we do have some Pi users here. Last I knew, Pi was ARM64. They may have other ideas.

Debian10.10 [buster] has an Arm64 version

obs-studio:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 26.1.2+dfsg1-2
Version table:
26.1.2+dfsg1-2 500
500 https://deb.debian.org/debian unstable/main arm64 Packages

update, Instead of using the Linux on ChromeOS i found it better to download Linux (I'm Using Ubuntu 20.14) as a dual boot with windows and it works a lot better for all of this

Members online