installing newer versions of software

SingingBirdRoadster

Reaction score
Credits
I am sorry this question is so basic but I am having problems.
I'm using Linux Mint and looking to use a newer version of software that was already included in my package manager.

Question: How do I install newer versions of software than my package manager?

When I "sudo apt update" or get-update, doesn't that give me the newest version? But I can clearly see there is a newer version that I can't get via Synaptic Package Manager.

When I download the .deb from a Debian package website, it gives me a depedency error saying it needs a newer version of a different software (that is the same story, in the package manager but outdated). Downloading the .deb of the new dependency just gives a red line at the top of the .deb installer.

Edit: by the way the software is GnuPG 2.2.27 and the dependency is dirmgr 2.2.27. But my question is still in general also

Last edited:

Short answer - you can't.
Long answer - you'll have to manually search in pkgs.org for the software you want and then manually download not only the program but the dependencies as well. I've tried that when I used to use Mint and it's not an easy task, believe me. I've spent hours and days in trying to get a newer version than what I have installed through the software manager but never succeeded.
Your only hope of using a newer version of software is finding an appimage or downloading a portable version of it (usually comes as a tar.gz file).

Looks like it's not available on Flathub, the other option is to compile it from source.

The packages installed via the distribution package manager are tested to run on your distribution as flawlessly as possible, introducing newer packages can break the system, so make sure you have Timeshift [or similar] installed and take an updated snapshot before you even try to introduce newer packages.

Short answer - you can't.
Long answer - you'll have to manually search in pkgs.org for the software you want and then manually download not only the program but the dependencies as well. I've tried that when I used to use Mint and it's not an easy task, believe me. I've spent hours and days in trying to get a newer version than what I have installed through the software manager but never succeeded.
Your only hope of using a newer version of software is finding an appimage or downloading a portable version of it (usually comes as a tar.gz file).
Can't you just compile the new version?

Can't you just compile the new version?
Not always. Usually compiling would require certain packages and dependencies to be installed in the system separately from the package you wanna compile. In most cases these dependencies will have to be certain versions which you may or may not be able to install. That's why portable versions or appimages of the program you need are the better choice in Mint.

That's why portable versions or appimages of the program you need are the better choice in Mint.
I was able to compile it from source on Mint, the only dependencies which you have to compile from source are these.
Code:
npth         (https://gnupg.org/ftp/gcrypt/npth/)
libgpg-error (https://gnupg.org/ftp/gcrypt/libgpg-error/)
libgcrypt    (https://gnupg.org/ftp/gcrypt/libgcrypt/)
libksba      (https://gnupg.org/ftp/gcrypt/libksba/)
libassuan    (https://gnupg.org/ftp/gcrypt/libassuan/)

Thanks so much to everyone who replied. This was very educational. So unfortunately my end goal was not GnuPG, but using it for Kleopatra to send emails. So I believe if I do a flatpak or app image, it wouldn't be able to cooperate with that right?

I will have to learn how to compile from source. Or if anyone knows an open source alternative to Kleopatra?

So unfortunately my end goal was not GnuPG, but using it for Kleopatra to send emails. So I believe if I do a flatpak or app image, it wouldn't be able to cooperate with that right?

I will have to learn how to compile from source. Or if anyone knows an open source alternative to Kleopatra?
Kleopatra doesn't seem to be available as flatpak, which version of Kleopatra do you want to use, which version of Kleopatra are you currently using and why do you need to use a newer version?

So I'm assuming you aren't using Thunderbird as your e-mail client, because it has a builtin "OpenPGP Key Manager" as well as being able to sign mails with certificates.

Last edited:
Ubuntu controls what software and more importantly which version of a software you get on your system. But imagine if a software developer releases a new version of the software.
Ubuntu won’t make new/updated software available immediately. There is a procedure to check if the new version of the software is compatible with the system or not. This ensures the stability of the system.
But this also means that it will be some weeks or some months before it is made available by Ubuntu or even waiting until the next version. Not everyone wants to wait that long to get their hands on the new version of their favorite software.
Similarly, suppose someone develops a software and wants Ubuntu to include that software in the official repositories. It again will take months before Ubuntu makes a decision and includes it in the official repositories.

Some software upgrades can be had by adding their ppa (Personal Package Archive) - for example - KeePassXC for Ubuntu based OS 20.04 which Linux Mint is based on has version 2.4.3 in the repositories but 2.6.6 is available via their ppa - you have to search for the ppa - KeePassXC is here - https://launchpad.net/~phoerious/+archive/ubuntu/keepassxc
then add the ppa to your sources.list
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:phoerious/keepassxc
then run
Code:
sudo apt-get update
You now have version 2.6.6 - NOTE: you just have to make sure the upgrade is compatible with your version of Ubuntu which includes any OS based on Ubuntu

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I wanted a newer version was that I posted on the Kleopatra forum asking why the "import certificates" button was greyed out. One of the people there told me often there are issues with GnuPG not being the newer version, but I do not know if this is the reason.

Also when I load Kleopatra, it passes all the checks except "scdameon failed"

Kleopatra doesn't seem to be available as flatpak, which version of Kleopatra do you want to use, which version of Kleopatra are you currently using and why do you need to use a newer version?

So I'm assuming you aren't using Thunderbird as your e-mail client, because it has a builtin "OpenPGP Key Manager" as well as being able to sign mails with certificates.
Kleopatra 3.1.8 (19.12.3)

I was hoping to use it for regular text in addition to emails, but good call on thunderbird

Holy shit I got it!!!!!!! off the Debian website installs!!!!! still has the scdameon error at startup but who wants to play ball.....

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
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