Installing multiple distros

N

NorrinRadd

Hi.

I have an 11-year-old Dell desktop. It used to run XP, but XP is now dead. Along the way the system was upgraded so it now has 4 GB RAM, a 75 GB HD, and a 930GB HD.

I'd like to experiment with a few different Linux distros. I've read some prior threads on the topic, and it sounds as though I have room to install a buttload. For now, there are three that interest me: OpenSUSE, Linux Mint, and Zorrin.

I have the latest GPartEd on bootable DVD and it boots up just fine.

Could someone walk me through setting up partitions and GRUB or whatever will be managing booting? And does it matter in what order I install the three distros? I plan to only install the Linux distros, not any version of Windows, unless *maybe* at some point I get adventurous and want to try Virtual Box, or some such arcane wizardry. That is *way* beyond me at this time.

Thanks!

Hmmmm OpenSuse might be very slow on that I wouldn't advise using that. Can you give us a model number please?

Linux Mint: XFCE and Mate, Zorin Lite Edition.

Also look at WattOS and Debian when you feel a little more comfortable with Linux.

Also try Antix. Lubuntu as well.

I just installed Debian Wheezy on an old 2004 PC I bought from work for $25.00. It was an XP, 32 bit, machine. I took about 3 hours and two iterations but it is running. I ordered a complete Debian package from OSdisc with Perl, Python, etc on the discs. You can also download it from the debian website. Go for it, I did, backup your important files, pictures etc first and make the old XP machine live a new life as the Linux machine!

I just installed Debian Wheezy on an old 2004 PC I bought from work for $25.00. It was an XP, 32 bit, machine. I took about 3 hours and two iterations but it is running. I ordered a complete Debian package from OSdisc with Perl, Python, etc on the discs. You can also download it from the debian website. Go for it, I did, backup your important files, pictures etc first and make the old XP machine live a new life as the Linux machine!
Man, where can I find all these cheap, so-called "useless" Computers that people throw away?..... :D

Members online