installing Mint GRUB on: the HDD (with Win7), or, on the Caddy SSD (with Mint)?

Guend1

Reaction score
Credits
Hello dear friends
I am a beginner, and I need your help please, to illustrate that issue:-
++ In the case of dual Boot, with Win7 (on HDD) as primary, and Mint19.1 (on Caddy SSD) as secondary:
++++ What are the advantages and disadvantages of installing Mint GRUB on:
+ the HDD (with Win7),
+ or, on the Caddy SSD (with Mint19.1)?

Many thanks for your help in advance

Personally, I think it's best to put Grub on the same drive as the Linux OS. That leaves each OS thinking it's in charge of it's own drives master boot record. You can tell the bios the SSD is the primary and it will always go there and give you the Grub menu. In the menu, you'll see both Linux and WIndows. This may never happen, but it did once with me, Windows wouldn't install a service pack (old name for security patches). I had to resolve it by going to the bios and making the Windows drive the primary so it wouldn't load Grub.

Many thanks for the fast and active reply.
++ I did not understand the part: ""In the menu, you'll see both Linux and WIndows. This may never happen, but it did once with me, Windows wouldn't install a service pack (old name for security patches) "":- Do you mean please, that showing both the OSs would never happen? ++ Or that Win7 will never allow to install a service pack ??
++Do you mean please, by the last sentence, that making Win7 the primary, prevents loading GRUB!
++ Many thanks in advance

2 completely different thoughts in the 2 sentences. Probably should have made a second paragraph there. Sorry for the confusion. FIrst thought was that the Grub menu will display an entry for both Windows and Linux. The second thought was something I experienced and you may never. That experience was that Windows wouldn't install the service pack if the computer booted up to the Grub menu and then loaded Windows. Since Windows doesn't have service packs anymore, you probably won't experience it. But you never know. :)

And yes to the last question. In the Bios, for normal operation, point the primary drive to the SSD. This will make the computer boot the the Linux grub menu every time (and you'll have the option of which OS to boot to). If however, something happens and you need to change this, it's a simple edit of the Bios to point it to the HDD. It'll then boot directly to Windows, and not load Grub at all.

@TechnoJunky ++ Many thanks, in fact I have not started using Mint, I have already downloaded its iso file, but didn't setup it yet, I am waiting until getting enough knowledge about it.
Many Thanks again

Members online

Latest posts