Installing Manjaro separately with Windows.

justin19

Reaction score
Credits
I have a Asus G750 laptop with 2 separate m.2 ssd's. I have windows installed on one ssd sda1. I'm trying to install Manjaro on the separate ssd sda2 but it fails.

Attached are screenshots of my partitions & the error message.

I would like to use the separate ssd if I can.

Thanks for any help.

Looking at the error message you don't have a BIOS boot partition for you GPT set up.
If I'm not mistaken that partition has to have the boot flag as well. The recommended size for that partition is 500 MB to 1 Gig.
Since embedded is not possible but required for cross disk install I'm pretty sure the only way around it is to create a boot partition.

The root partition you created is 9.9 Gig's. You will need at least 20 Gigs.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Partitioning#BIOS/GPT_example_layout

If you want to use the separate ssd for the install make sure you choose sdb; if Windows is installed to sda.

-::-If your laptop came with Windows 10 installed it's a UEFI machine-::-
In that case you would have to install Manjaro in UEFI Boot Mode.
Here's an example of that.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2381341

Is your Asus an older Legacy MBR system or a UEFI machine?

Alexzee, I wiped my partitions then installed Manjaro first now I'm installing windows now. I think this will work fine otherwise I will follow your advice. Thank you

Alexzee, I wiped my partitions then installed Manjaro first now I'm installing windows now. I think this will work fine otherwise I will follow your advice. Thank you

You're welcome.

Generally it's better to install Windows first than install Linux.

Windows might take up the bootloader and that may make it hard to boot into Manjaro.

Yeah I see. I play with it later or use a boot disk to fix the bootloader.

Yeah I see. I play with it later or use a boot disk to fix the bootloader.

Ok, got it--

If you have to you could use the Manjaro DVD or USB to install Grub to the ssd using the terminal and run grub -install /dev/sdb. Or sda which ever ssd you installed Manjaro to.

Members online