Installing Linux

xannedheat

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
Im trying to install linux on a windows 10 laptop. can someone direct me to a resource for understanding this the best way? Do i need to create bootable drive on a different machine than the one i intend to install on?

Thanks

2in1-11 Laptop (ideapad) - Type 81CX
with windows 10 and uefi bios

Last edited:

Sometimes the brand and type of laptop being installed on (ie: age, uefi, mbr, etc.) is very relevant to the installation process. It would help a lot if you could provide that information.

You do not need to create the bootable drive on a different machine.

Sometimes the brand and type of laptop being installed on (ie: age, uefi, mbr, etc.) is very relevant to the installation process. It would help a lot if you could provide that information.

You do not need to create the bootable drive on a different machine.
Thank you I have updated the specs. Is that enough info? My main goal is replacing windows 10 entirely, also ive always wanted to learn how to use linux.

Im trying to install linux on a windows 10...
that sounds past a timeline point such as i'm thinking or looking into installing Linux on laptop , so gathering info etc..

Don't attempt until you prep yourself.

The most common way is to put a Linux distro onto a usb stick; either a straight install or a live OS that has the ability once booted live to also install.

Now with a live OS booted from a USB you can use it to gather a lot of information .

First basic specs of your laptop how big is the hard drive; can you access bios; have you a admin password setup which you might need to enable/disable parts of bios.

Is your laptop 32 bit or 64 bit

does it have uefi firmware or is it going to be a legacy bios mbr job.

you can google the above .. and look into likely candidates of Linux you want.

Then look at different tools to get Linux onto usb

the options are : ventoy
etcher
another i can't remember.

first maybe be able to get a live OS up its a big help if its needed to fix things and use it to look around .
a photo snapshot of your drive using gparted from a live OS is a great help for all on here to look at what you have

that sounds past a timeline point such as i'm thinking or looking into installing Linux on laptop , so gathering info etc..

Don't attempt until you prep yourself.

The most common way is to put a Linux distro onto a usb stick; either a straight install or a live OS that has the ability once booted live to also install.

Now with a live OS booted from a USB you can use it to gather a lot of information .

First basic specs of your laptop how big is the hard drive; can you access bios; have you a admin password setup which you might need to enable/disable parts of bios.

Is your laptop 32 bit or 64 bit

does it have uefi firmware or is it going to be a legacy bios mbr job.

you can google the above .. and look into likely candidates of Linux you want.

Then look at different tools to get Linux onto usb

the options are : ventoy
etcher
another i can't remember.

first be able to get a live OS up its a big help if its needed to fix things

a photo snapshot of your drive using a live OS is a great help for all on here to look at what you have
Im thinking about it, and have not started anything.

Good take your time ! A lot on here recommend something like a Debian derivative such as Mint

i've got a 32 bit variant and 64 bit Mint cinnamon live with persistence .To be fair Mint isn't a bad choice ; also with a live OS don't forget its still using your laptop hardware , that means if a live OS can see and use your wifi for instance then a full install will also.

Do you have any thoughts on a Linux distro ?

usb tools

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts