Installing Linux

confused

Reaction score
Credits
Hi.

I have been wanting to install Linux for some time never seemed to get the push to do it. Well now, I have in the shape of a write-up in the latest compting Which magazine which gave an article on how to try Linux. This, of course, involved downloading Linux Cinnamon Mint to a DVD or flash drive. I chose DVD. So now I have had my taste and I like what I see. Seeing an option to install I went ahead but am now somewhat lost.

Having installed it I cannot find it although all my files are intact.

I wondered at first if it was down to disabling Boot Support in Bios because I could not see an option to boot Linux. Bios would not allow me to do this and I was told one option was to remove the hard drive and try without. On my laptop, the hard drive is not in a separate compartment so this would have involved next to almost demolishing the computer.

Fear not I found a way to do it without moving a single screw. I am using Windows 10 by the way. Simply go into Bios and create a password for the user then go into the boot and you can disable the boot support. By the way, if you go back to the user password and insert the password you created and hit enter a couple of times you will remove the password. This is helpful to prevent the risk of forgetting the password at a later date. Unfortunately, this has not solved the problem.

This, with a few helpful tips along the way, tells where I am with this.

The problem is I don't know what has happened to my installation and my aim is to get it running side by side with Windows 10.

Any helpful suggestions, please. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

G'day @confused :)

I have been wanting to install Linux for some time never seemed to get the push to do it.

Welcome to linux.org - a lot of us have been in that situation, I was 6 to 7 years ago and it was only 5 years ago I made the leap (I am 61).

Specs on your computer and how it is partitioned would be helpful.

Take a look at my Post here https://www.linux.org/threads/booting-from-partition-of-secondary-hdd.21883/#post-64494

... and see if you follow what I am after, in regard to Disk Management and System Information, and see if you can provide.

Also there is this guide for dualbooting Windows 10 and Linux Mint

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2016/04/how-to-install-linux-mint-alongside.html

See if it resembles what you did, and in particular whether you chose to install alongside, or "something else".

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online